Simon_Bowler
New Member.

Step by step guide to moving a Cell Manager to a new server

Hi Data Protector Experts,

I am looking for a Step by Step guide to assist me in moving my DP 9.08 Cell Manager from a Windows 2008 server to a new Windows 2012 server.

Thanks.

0 Likes
6 Replies
antaln Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Step by step guide to moving a Cell Manager to a new server

That depends on the amount of differences between the two hosts:

1) Are you changing the hostname of the cell server host? If so, the configuration changes spill to clients as they have to reference the new cell server - this involves at least a client reimport.

2) Are you using ECC (encrypted control communication) enabled in Data Protector?

3) Are you changing the drive/directory layout (installing DP in different directory and/or changing location of DCBF directories)?

0 Likes
Simon_Bowler
New Member.

Hi HPE Experts,

In answer to your questions:

1) Are you changing the hostname of the cell server host? If so, the configuration changes spill to clients as they have to reference the new cell server - this involves at least a client reimport.
A. No, I was not planning on changing the hostname of the cell server.  I was going to reuse the existing hostname, but I am not sure where in the migration process you need to change the hostnames from current to old and new to current.

2) Are you using ECC (encrypted control communication) enabled in Data Protector?
A. No, I am not using ECC.  Should I be using it?

3) Are you changing the drive/directory layout (installing DP in different directory and/or changing location of DCBF directories)?
A. If making the new server a mirror of the old server in terms of drive/directories makes the migration easier then they will be the same.

Thanks.

0 Likes
antaln Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

1) No, there is no requirement to change the hostname.

2) No, there is no ECC requirement. I was just asking because using it may require additional tasks during migration, e.g. regenerating certificates, etc.

From your answers, if you maintain hostnames and drive/directory layout, you may be able to migrate the cell server by performing a full IDB backup on the original cell server, and perform restore using steps from Data Protector Administrator's guide, ch4 "Internal Database", page 88, section titled "Restoring the IDB database on a different Cell Manager host". You can skip step 17b and c that are used to change the hostname (since you will be keeping the original hostname).

- On new cell server, use the same Data Protector patch level as the original cell server (you said you are using 9.08?)

- Make sure the database volumes are of the same size or larger than on the original host, to avoid disk space issues.

- Keep the old cell server around (but maybe disconnected from network) until you validate the functionality with the new cell.

If you have disk-backed devices on cell server (file libraries, standalone file devices, file jukeboxes), you will have to migrate them separately. I think it's enough to just move the directories to the same locations on the new cell server host. I'm not sure if such a migration is possible for SODA devices, though.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Vince Laurent Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I am game to learn this as wll but I will be moving from one HP-UX 11.31 to another.  Both are patched up to 9.08.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. KloppYNWA69 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

go no further than this. I've used it a few times and works a treat!!!

https://www.data-protector.org/wordpress/2016/12/migrate-dp-9-0x-dp-9-0x-hardware-microsoft-windows/

0 Likes
Luc Minnaert Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

OK but here we're talking of HP-UX and not MS-boxes,

If you know that DP is installed in 3 places,

/etc/opt/omni --> config (server part)

/var/opt/omni --> IDB (server sub dir)

and /opt/omni --> binaries

and if you know the tar command

and than just change your cell_manager, IS servers in theconfig files with a vi session

plus change your catalog database ownership with the omnidbutil -change_cell_name

you have the summary  🙂

or just hire me  🙂

Luc Minnaert

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.