Les Crisps Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

StoreOnce 3640 Dedupe Options

Jump to solution

Hello,
We have new kit and I'm setting up new StoreOnce 3640 Catalyst stores.
I notice that in the DP 10.20 advanced settings it defaults to Server-side dedupe which I believe is the media server.
However, on the old system the now retired admin had removed this option which means the StoreOnce handles dedupe.
(Source-side=client; Server-side=media server; Target-side=StoreOnce ?)
Everything works fine on the old hardware so I'm inclined to stick with Target-side but I wondered if anyone
has advice or best practice tips to help me with this.
Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: StoreOnce 3640 Dedupe Options

Jump to solution

Hi @Les Crisps,

As @Koen Verbelen mentioned you have options and it is your choice. It really depends on network bandwidth and CPU resources available.

I usually configure Server-side deduplication (with a explicit gateway) on all Media Agents that needs to move data for other hosts. This allows to re-map to them during Object Copy configuration. Dedicated Media Servers are usually build for CPU intense operations and not using it would be a waste. As a rule of thumb one core = one stream.

Source-side deduplication is handy because all share the same (implicit gateway) configuration. You can see they greyed out localhost value in the Gateway configuration. All you need is to install the Media Agent on the supported Windows, Linux, UNIX clients and setup Source-side backups. This will distribute the load even more for chunking and hashing and as a result the overall backup performance will increase and the StoreOnce has more CPU cycles for other tasks (Housekeeping, etc.). Most modern servers have plenty of CPU spare cycles. So using them is a good choice.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

All you're writing is correct. The choice between server or targetside dedupe depends on the resources you have available. Is the bandwidth to the store limited, but you have a lot of CPU to spend on the gateway (MA) system then serverside would be the right choice. When you have enough bandwidth to the store, but CPU on the gateway is rather limited then targetside would be better.

Koen

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @Les Crisps,

As @Koen Verbelen mentioned you have options and it is your choice. It really depends on network bandwidth and CPU resources available.

I usually configure Server-side deduplication (with a explicit gateway) on all Media Agents that needs to move data for other hosts. This allows to re-map to them during Object Copy configuration. Dedicated Media Servers are usually build for CPU intense operations and not using it would be a waste. As a rule of thumb one core = one stream.

Source-side deduplication is handy because all share the same (implicit gateway) configuration. You can see they greyed out localhost value in the Gateway configuration. All you need is to install the Media Agent on the supported Windows, Linux, UNIX clients and setup Source-side backups. This will distribute the load even more for chunking and hashing and as a result the overall backup performance will increase and the StoreOnce has more CPU cycles for other tasks (Housekeeping, etc.). Most modern servers have plenty of CPU spare cycles. So using them is a good choice.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thank you, very helpful.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you @Koen Verbelen and @Sebastian.Koehler, this is exactly what I was looking for.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.