Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

StoreOnce Catalyst Store - SQL Backup is slow.

Hi,

I understand StoreOnce devices have no concept of concurrency as opposed to tape drive.

So what is the default value for below settings if not set explicitly?
1.maximum number of parallel streams
2. Maximum number of COnnections per Store

Y MS SQL Backup is as follows.

8 TB SQL DB - 2 MSSQL Integration Concurrency + 2 LTO-7 Drive - in 2 Hours.

8 TB SQL DB - 2 MSSQL Integration Concurrency + SToreOnce Catalyst Store with 1 GW + All Default Settings (1 Parallel Device+ Default Parallel Streams per Gateay + Parallel Streams per Store) is taking more than 4 hours.

How do I speed up SQL Backup to StoreOnce speed without changing MSSQL Integration Concurrency (at present 2)?

Regards,

Vivek

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: StoreOnce Catalyst Store - SQL Backup is slow.

Hello @Vivek Achar,

Can you check my post on the link below please and let me know if this helps.

Optimize MSSQL backup performance
https://www.data-protector.org/wordpress/2018/06/optimize-mssql-backup-performance/

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes

Hi Sebastian,
As per policy, each DB is backed up in different specs.
Below is 1 single DB of around 4.17 TB.

The difference is very huge. 
So on Tape, it is 2 Drives of each with 1 concurrent stream, total 2 DA Agents will be running. But with SO, I see only 1 MA and 1 DA Stream runs.
Regards,
Vivek
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @Vivek Achar,

What are the Min/Max Load Balancing settings for the backup to StoreOnce Catalyst? Using Min 1/Max 2 or Min 1/Max 4 should make a difference.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just as background info and for anyone interested, here's what I sent earlier this morning in reply to a parallel post which was deleted:

-->
Looks like your post from this morning was deleted!? Not sure why. But here's one of my older article's which may be interesting lecture to better understand the concept of parallel data streams with SO:

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Data-Protector-User-Discussions/DP-Support-Tip-Limits-on-the-number-of-parallel-running-objects/m-p/1631382

StoreOnce devices have no concurrency, but parallel data streams are started by starting additional media agents on the same gateway client. That number of different GW streams can go up to the load balancing MAX value. That's it in a nutshell. More details in the article above.
<--

Koen

0 Likes

Thanks Koen,  Sebastian, 

We are able to increase the Number of 'MS SQL Integration - Concurrent Streams to 2' and can the  good improvement in backup time.

But, we see Copy (from StoreOnce to Tape ) is taking too long... some 20 hours. I see that though I have configured 2 Drives (each drive with concurrency set to 1). 

Since it is writing to only one tape (one after the other), the copy is taking long time. I can see 2 SO Devices, and 2 Tape Drives, But only one SO  Device (Reading) & One Tape Drive (Writing) is being used. Others are in Waiting state.

I see this behavior for both SQL, SAB DB Copy jobs. 

Note: Backups have successfully run in 2 different streams. 

Is this the expected behavior? 

Regards,

Vivek

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Vivek Achar,

Have you tried to copy to a single tape drive with a concurrency of 2, 4, 6 or 8? If the tape drive is physical the single StoreOnce stream might be too slow to saturate the drive and keep it streaming. Writing multiple streams to the same drive (or mix with other backup objects from other backups) would make a difference. Is this a Scheduled or Post-backup Object Copy?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes

Hi Sebstain,

It is a Physical LTO-7  Tape Drives  with MSL 6000 Series Library.

1. SQL Backup taken to StoreOnce (1 GW & 2 Load Balancing Devices) with SQL Integration Concurrency set to 2. Backup to SO is observed running on both SO MA Devices concurrently.  2 Streams running on 2 SO MA  devices.

2. Copy (Post Backup) the same to Tape (2 Nos. of LTO-7 Drives with drive concurrency set to 1 for each drive).

Result: Copy is taking one stream from SO and write it to 1st Tape Drive. 2nd Tape Drive and 2nd Stream from SO is in Waiting state. I can see only ONE DA running.

Regards,

Vivek

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.