Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
tmas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Switch backups from LAN to SAN

Good morning,

We just recently reconfigured our SAN environment so we have it properly zoned.  Here's the info on our setup.

1. Version A.09.00 of Data Protector and are backing up to an HP MSL 4048 tape library with LTO 6 drives.

2. Cell manager is running on RHEL 5.x.
  3. 16GB san switches, with port A on LTO 6 drives going to Fabric A and port B connections going to Fabric B. 
  4. We have a mixed environment of Linux variants and Windows server 2003/08/12 on hosts that are being backed up.

Backups are currently running through the LAN, but we would like to switch everything over to the SAN for backups, how do we do this?

Thanks!

--Backup Environment--
Data Protector 9.05

Cell Manager (CentOS 6.8)
Storeonce VSA - SR: 3.13.3-1612.1
Storeonce 5500 - SR: 3.14.1-1607.1
HPE MSL4048 Tape Library - Firmware 8.90
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.. danielbraun Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Switch backups from LAN to SAN

Hi,

You need to reconfigure your current tape library in Data Protector to allow sharing (enable the feature on first tab). You now can configure in second tab who can control the robotic. Add more servers on demand. The same applies for the tape drives, enable sharing and configure the other hosts with installed media agent to share this drive. In any case in advanced settings of drive enable the lock name.

Once configured change your backups, you now should be able to select preferred host in destination. And thats it...

Of course, using shared library requires the UNIX/SAN Drive License (instead of the Windows Drive License). If you do not have this license, the backup will fail.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
0 Likes
tmas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello and thanks for the response.  However I don't see the tabs you are talking about in the Data Protector GUI.  Do you mean the client selection from the drop down?

Thanks!

Tom

--Backup Environment--
Data Protector 9.05

0 Likes
Highlighted
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When configuring any device, there is a box you can check 'MultiPath'.  When you activate this function, the hostname is 'greyed-out'.  In the Drive tab, you will now see a larger window.  You can enter a hostname (it must have the Media Agent installed on it already), and pick the SCSI path/Device file that particular machine uses for that drive, and click Add

Repeat for additional machines.  Then, as Daniel suggeted, set a particular machine as the Preferred host in the Devices sectioon of your Backup specification

I don't normally recommend that you MultiPath the robotics, although you can if you want to

0 Likes
tmas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bob,

Thanks for the response.  So for each client, I have to specify a configured path to each drive, and under each host too?  Seems really tedious unless there is another way to do it since we have about 40 clients, 4 hosts and currently 3 different drives.  I've attached a screenshot to make sure I'm in the right part of the gui.  So if multipath is configured correctly in the Configured Path's area I should see every client listed, and this should be replicated for each drive, on each of the four hosts?

Thanks!

--Backup Environment--
Data Protector 9.05

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.