UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Trouble Describing a Schedule

I have a scheduling issue and I currently don't have the knowledge to create the description so that Data Protector will follow the business requirements. The first Saturday of every month I would like to do a full backup. After that full backup is complete, I would then like to offload that backup to tape. This is very easy to do.

My problem comes from the fact that every other day of the month, I would like to do an incremental. On that first Saturday of the month, I do not need to do the incremental. Does anyone have an idea how I can express this to data protector?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi,

I think you can't do that.

I do next:

1-I schedulled one full every 4 saturday: both same time 9 PM)

I know, maybe some months do 2 full backups.

2-Schedulled incremental all every day:

now you have full and incremental ,

Now, do you use same pool in backups? if yes this program doesn't work.

if you use diferrents pool needs to created two separed sessions of back.

Regards.

Please assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

I think you'll have to edit the actual file in Schedules.

I'm sorry that I can't remember it exactly but I think it's something like

-include -day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

-exclude mon tue wed thu fri sun

If I manage to work it out I'll re-post.

Jeremy

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Editing the files is just something I know I will have to do. I've already done this several times. The first <day> thing I dont have a problem with. That's easy enough to express. There are several blogs about it.It's the actual process of describing to exclude the first day that I am having difficulties with.

If an incremental and a full fall on the same day at the same time, which one takes precedence?
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

full kill the incremental, or full have priority.

Please assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

This will work, at least from the GUI POV.  See below and attachment.

-incr
-every
    -day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    -at 09:00

-incr
-exclude
    -day Sat

-incr
-every
    -day 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

-full 
-every
    -day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

-full
-exclude
    -day Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri 

Having only one full backup per month would require a ton of media if you had to do any kind of restore.  Is this what your plan was?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do you figure? It would reallistically only depend on your delta.

Let's logically walk through this. All of my backed up objects are on VMFS volumes. CBT is enabled and my daily change rate on servers is on average about a gig a day. Obviously my file servers (2) are probably changing on a large scale, so lets say 5 gigs a day. If I have 20 servers thats a daily delta of 28 gigs a day. 28 gigs a day times rougly 30 days a month = 840 Gigs a month. My dedupe rate is being reported as 23:1 right now and my target is an HP D2D2504i (roughly 3TBs). My full backup clocks in around 2 TB. So a full backup plus 30 days of delta is roughly 2.9 TBs. When you factor in dedupe that's seems reasonable to me. I am also recycling backups every 5 weeks and I am retaining a copy of the full data permanently on LTO5. I have a lot of unrecycled media sitting on my D2D right now. It's currently reporting about 49 TBs of storage used and I am only using 83.7% of the raw storage capacity. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.