Valued Contributor.. DC Admin Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Re: Unable to take Exchange backup in DP 10.03

Unable to open article. No permission to open the article

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @DC Admin,

The content does not help. I don't expect this change has a high priority. Most customers use StoreOnce or DataDomain with source-side deduplication which is highly efficient for VM backups. What is the use case for tape backup inside the VM (including the Media Agent)?

2018-06-13_17h39_44.png

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

We have Exchange server hosted on a Hyper - V VM (Windows Server 2012 R2 and Exchange 2013). As the database is large (> 3 TB) so for efficient and reduced backup time, we were attempting to take backup to tape via SAN. We can see tape drive in VM device manager. We also observe fast backup times however the backup fails at the end.

DP team blames the error on combination of OS, Hyper - V and hardware as they only interface with the OS.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello  DC Admin,

I would like to make a comment.

Looking at the error, this is more of a MA I/O error and so I would push that you log a SW DP case so that the next available DP support can work with you as this need in-depth investigation.

But I also noted this line:

The DP team has checked the system and reported no issues at their end. The ticket was forwarded to hardware team which has also given go ahead for the same. However, the error still persists.

Do you mean you have an open SW DP support case?

I can see that they have asked to engage HW support but still, the SW DP case will have to be kept open until it is really confirmed it is resolved.

Do you have the SW DP support case ID? I can check the case status and spend time to review it but I will need to contact the case owner.

Do let me know as I would advise that we work on your issue via SW DP Support Process.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

DP Support

0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Microfocus Support CASE ID is SD02186666

0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

I have update on the case ID. Case ID is SD02187480. Also we permormed HPE L&TT LTO drive assessment test on tape drive mounted on Hyper - V and Host machine. The base machine is Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper - V VM on it. The OS on both the cases is the same. It was observed that while the test performed successfully in the host machine, reverse direction writing error came while performing the test on Hyper - V machine.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @DC Admin,

Thanks for the update. This is what from a Data Protector point of view is considered a "hardware issue".

You have the DAPR Compatibility Matrix and can test the issue with LTT. HPE should be able to help you out since they support tape from within the HyperV VM. After that your chances to make it work with Data Protector should be better.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.