Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrade DP 5.1 to 6.0 with readdb/writedb

Jump to solution
I want to upgrade DP 5.1 HP-UX - PA-RISC) to an Itanium box (11.23). Here's my thought: On the current 5.1 cell, writedb and move the ASCII files to the 11.23 cell with DP 6.0 installed. Now, readdb the ASCII files in.

Questions that come up are:

1. Can 6.0 read 5.1 ASCII files?
2. Will all the backup specs and schedules come over?
3. What else besides the readdb will I need (assuming this works at all)?

Thanks for your help!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,
The upgrade process is described in detail in the DP Installation guide.

You need to perform the upgrade on the PA-RISC server, then move the database to the Itanium box.

When migrating from PA-RISC to IA64 you have to run the "omnimigrate.sh" command twice, on the old Cell Manager and on the new Cell Manager. See the man pages for "omnimigrate.sh" for details.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi

Stop DP services and take filesystem backup from /var/opt/omni to prevent worst case

5.1 to 6.0 upgrade needs file names conversion in IDB so when you start to installation omnisetup warn about upgrade if it's needed to perform.

Therefore you don't need to readdb/writedb but when you finish the upgrade take another coldbackup of IDB, and try readdb/writedb if you want.

Please look at Upgrading Section p221 and Conversion Section p250 in DP 6.0 Installation and Licensing Guide

Best Regards
Murat

Murat Suluhan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,
The upgrade process is described in detail in the DP Installation guide.

You need to perform the upgrade on the PA-RISC server, then move the database to the Itanium box.

When migrating from PA-RISC to IA64 you have to run the "omnimigrate.sh" command twice, on the old Cell Manager and on the new Cell Manager. See the man pages for "omnimigrate.sh" for details.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks to all who responded. It seems clear that I will need to upgrade in place (PA) and then move to the IA platform.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Closing this thread. Thanks
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.