mayank_So
Visitor.

Upgrading from HP DP 6.0 to HP DP 6.20

Inorder to HP grade from DP 6.0 to 6.20 , can any of you provide me how to upgrade Unix Installation server and Unix clients. I know how to upgrade CM , IS and Clients in windows but dont have any idea on Linux.

The client Cell Manager is on windows so i am facing challeneg on how to upgrade unix IS and Unix Clients.

please provide me the steps

Tags (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Upgrading from HP DP 6.0 to HP DP 6.20

Please refer to the Installation and Licensing guide provided with the Data Protector software 6.20. It is included in the Docs folder on the media kit. The upgrade on UNX/Linux is straightforward.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Tags (3)
0 Likes
André Beck
Visitor.

@Sebastian.Koehler wrote:
The upgrade on UNX/Linux is straightforward.

In practice, it isn't as straightforward as one hopes, or it is less tested. In some upgrades I had to do in the last months, the install scripts failed in funny ways. And that was on fully supported platforms (SLES and RHEL). Two bizarre issues I remember:

1. A Unix IS + DA + MA on SLES. Starting the upgrade script on the "Linux CD" (actually an unpacked tree) did some pondering, then requested the "HPUX/Solaris CD". The script there did some pondering, then requested the Linux CD. And so on and so on et cetera ad nauseam. I had to manually remove the IS RPMs (IIRC). Luckily, removing an IS and later reinstalling it and importing it back to the cell is indeed completely straightforward.
  2. A Unix CM + IS + DA + MA on RHEL. Looked better in the beginning, but then failed to uninstall some package (IIRC the xomni Java GUI) because the package name was not unique. Took me a while to find out that the identical package name was installed in a i386 and a x86_64 variant, and I had to manually "rpm -e" one of the architecture versions. Luckily, the script always continued from where it left off and I finally could upgrade the CM.

So compared to Windows, where the installers just work (or explode so badly you don't have any chance to get in control), the Unix scripts are a little more on the sensitive side, but can be disciplined to work with some platform know-how. Essentially, that's the Unix way. So better be prepared and know your rpm(1).

BTW, if your remote upgrades of Debian clients fail, login to the client and "/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart", then restart the upgrade.

HTH,

Andre.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Those issues are related to missing dependencies not checked/reported by the installation scripts. This is the worst thing about Linux. It is sometimes hard to determine if a installation is in a supported state or not. Since he is only going to upgrade a IS and some clients, the process should be easy. If it fails, he needs to fix the Linux installation, then the upgrade or even a new installation of the packages will go trough smooth.

If something goes wrong, run ./omnisetup.sh -Uninstall or ./omnisetup.sh -Delete to get rid of a messed up installation.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Tags (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.