Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
JRioux Contributor.
Contributor.

VEPA Backup/Restore of VMs on VVOL (3PAR)

Does DP can do VEPA backups of VMware VMs that are on VVOL volumes (3PAR) ? And does RMC or ZDB would be a better option to backup those VMs ?

Also how does a VEPA restore works if I want to restore on a VVOL on the 3PAR ? At the moment I don't use ZDB nor RMC.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Adolfo Mora Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: VEPA Backup/Restore of VMs on VVOL (3PAR)

Hi,

Yes, you can do VEPA backups of VMware VMs onVVOL, volumes however, using RMC or ZDB is not supported for those VMs, you can check this in the ProductAnnouncements.pdf page 35.

In other words, take regular VEPA backups for those Virtual Machines.

Regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: VEPA Backup/Restore of VMs on VVOL (3PAR)

Hi JRioux,

Yes, Adolfo is right with his comment. I can confirm this since I also have a few VMs located on 3PAR VVOL and backup and restore works transparent similar to any VM located on a VMFS or NFS datastore. I had some restore related issues on older versions of Data Protector 9.x, but the fixes should have been integrated into the latest patches.

Data Protector ZDB/RMC are not supported right now. with VVOLs  RMC without Data Protector offers 3PAR VVOL backup and restore support. This works good, but only if there is no need to move the backups to tape.

As of today I would also recommend the regular VEPA integration without ZDB or RMC for this use case. But in general I still see an overall low adaption rate of VVOLs in the field.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.