Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VM Restore issue with DP 6.2 (Transport method SAN)

Hi all,

I am newbiw in DP. Please help me shed lights on the below issue....

Situation:- 

DP Ver : 6.2 on Win with latest patch bundle

VM ver : 4.1 update 1

The backup is fine. 

During the restore (using SAN transport method), is successful from DP Session report. However restored VM is not able to boot up. When I did the restore through NBD it works fine and Vm is able to boot up.

Checked the restored VM (using SAN Transport) vmx file size and found its different from the orginal size before restore.

Anybody has a clue on this ??

Please help .... thanks to all Techi Geeks in advance ....

******Assign Kudos (click on the white star) should you find it useful. *******
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Refer to the VEPA documentation. You need to bring the datastore LUNs online on the backup host used for restore. Is working quite well for me since VEPA was introduced.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Sebastian,

We have 8 LUNs in total for VMs from 2 EVAs.

Thiugh there are 8 LUNs in total, I could see 32 LUNS in total under "disk Management" of backup host.

out of these 32 LUNs, 8 are online and rest are offline.  (multipath driver is not installed for the LUNs, that is why it shows offline LUNs as well)

I have checked with both VMware expert and the storage engineer. They told me that, multipath driver should not install, coz it can corrupt the VM LUNs..

Please share your thoughts and shed light on this....

******Assign Kudos (click on the white star) should you find it useful. *******
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

MPIO must be installed on the backup host to have this working. This was not supported with VCB in the past. (but was working, too) When you have only the 8 disks in disk management, bring them online and you're done.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.