Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Syedfurquan Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

VM restore error using GRE

Hello,

Trying to restore VM backup using VMware GRE. The backups taken on catalyst store. I have done backup of whole VM's which has 3 disk and all 3 disks are sepeartely used for different vgs.
Getting below error when trying to expand any of the scsi disks 

Something went wrong while searching for logical volumes. Check that you backed up and restored all disks that are part of same volume group and try again.
 DP= 10.02, VMware 6.0, Client OS= RHEL 6.3

0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: VM restore error using GRE

Hello

If I understood well your mount proxy is RedHat 6.3 this is not supported. You must use 6.6 6.7 or 7.0 please check support matrix table 4.

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/attachment/KM02851981?fileName=Virtualization_Support_Matrix_DP10.0x.pdf

Best Regards

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

RHEL 6.3 is the version of the VM for which files I was trying to restore.

RHEL mount proxy server is RHEL6.6.

But now I am seeing new error at all:
Log on to Virtual Center xxx.xx.com could not be performed.
Details:Web service error: Try Again

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Do you have performed any changes on the vCenter? Change the password in this case. 

Check the user and password used in the moment to run the restore and check that is added correctly on DP. 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Victor,

Thanks for the reply. No changes done on the vCenter.

>>Check the user and password used in the moment to run the restore and check that is added correctly on DP.
can you please explain how to verify this? giving the current credentials in GRE lists all the session but it's when I click send request get error as:
Log on to Virtual Center skvc01.emaarec.com could not be performed.
Details:Web service error: Try Again

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The user that is added to DP is in Users context. There has to be the vCenter admin as administrator too. 

Also, you can try to install the DP client on the vCenter and import it as a client and also as vCenter. In other cases, this solves the error. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The user has been added in the DP User context. Using the same setup I have restored till 9.09 but since upgraded to DP10 these restore is failing.

>>Also, you can try to install the DP client on the vCenter and import it as a client and also as vCenter. In other cases, this solves the error. 
I have tried this adding vCenter as Client first and then adding vCenter as vCenter in Client context but it merge both of them as VMware vCenter.

Thanks

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Now that you told me the upgrade. Do you upgrade the GRE component to the same patch level as the CM? 

If the issue persists is possible that this is a communication problem or compatibility problem. 

What version of DP and VMware are you using? 

Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,

>> Now that you told me the upgrade. Do you upgrade the GRE component to the same patch level as the CM?
All the DP components are on same version inckuding GRE 10.02.

>>What version of DP and VMware are you using? 
DP 10.02, VMware 
version 6.0.0 Build 4541947

A case is already opened  SD02129175
Can you please explain why I am not able to install VMware GRE web plug-in, while trying to install this component I get error as:

[Critical]  Installed VMware vCenter Server is a prerequisite for installing this component. Installation of the VMware Granular Recovery Extension Web Plug-In skipped.

[Critical]  Virtual Environment Integration is a prerequisite for installing this component. Installation of the VMware Granular Recovery Extension Agent skipped.
Even though I am installing it on vCenter Server only then too getting this error. Any help?

Thanks,
Syed

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Syed, 

Can you please explain why I am not able to install VMware GRE web plug-in, while trying to install this component

because you are trying to install the old GRE plugin via installation server. The last Vcenter version this was supported on is 5.5 u2, if I'm not mistaken. 

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Markovdi,

Thanks for the reply. So you mean to say it's no more required to install VMware GRE web plug-in in 10.02?

Thanks,
Syed

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Syed, 

there are two types of  GRE plugins. For older Vcenter versions we used the one you were trying to unsuccesully install. 

For newer Vcenter versions we use the AngularJS plugin - which is "installed" via Vcenter Login tab in clients menu register.PNG

Your version is OK, problem is caused by your Linux mount proxy, which most likely cannot communicate properly with cell manager. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.