Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

VMware GRE - Share presentation failed due to Samba issues

Jump to solution

Hello,

After update de entire Cell do the 9.07 and do new backups, in my vCenter with the GRE installed the new backups send to the Catalyst now appear as "Cached". But when i send a new request the following error happen:

"Share presentation failed due to Samba issues"

-----------
Please assign Kudos
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

So the GRE User Guide and the Product Announcements has a wrong information because it says that the VM with Windows Operating System is not supported by the Cached restore from Catalyst Devices.

-----------
Please assign Kudos

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hello,

If you have already installed 9.07 in your Linux mount proxy you may open a support request.

Marcos A.
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

My virtual machines are Windows guest os, so the GRE user guide show:

Cached GRE of Windows Guest VM is not supported from StoreOnce Catalyst device. Windows Guest VM can be recovered in Non-Cached mode using Windows mount proxy.

I can't do the cached  GRE from CAtalyst devices even i use a Linux Mount proxy, right ? And the GRE change to the Non-cached Recovery automatically in this case.

-----------
Please assign Kudos
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

My understanding is that with A.09.07 all VEPA backups that go to StoreOnce Catalyst automatically become a Cached. There is no way to make them Non-Cached afterwards. This means with the current limitation (that will be resolved soon) you will need to have a Linux mount proxy in addition to your Windows mount proxy.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Sebastian,

I understand that in this case ( 9.07 + Storeonce Catalys Devices ) all the backups will be showed as "Cached" but if all our VMs are Windows based we can't restore them using the GRE.

So, even i put one Linux Mount Proxy i can't restore te Windows based VM. Or i can ? Because the GRE user guide says not.

For last, if is impossible to use the Cached GRE for the Windows based VM, i need use the Non-Cached option as an option.

-----------
Please assign Kudos
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, you can do cross operating system restores with a Linux mount proxy. It requires that NTFS-3G is installed on the Linux mount proxy and has some limitations apply (handling NTFS ACLs).

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

So the GRE User Guide and the Product Announcements has a wrong information because it says that the VM with Windows Operating System is not supported by the Cached restore from Catalyst Devices.

-----------
Please assign Kudos

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.