UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VMware Integration License Re-cap

Jump to solution
Even after reading through most of the new docs... I am still a little confused about the required licenses needed for VMware Integration.

The text reads...

"VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) and VMware ESX Server backup require one Windows/Linux license per ESX server, VCB Proxy, and VMware Virtual Center participating in the backup and restore process. Script based VCB and ESX Server backup do not require an on-line backup license."

Example:

I currently have 1 Virtual Center Server, 1 separate VCB Proxy and 2 ESX servers.

Does this mean I need at least 2 Online Backup licenses... assuming my 2 ESX servers are not able to vmotion, but only if I need to do backups at the same timee on both servers?

Ultimately, I may have the VMware Integration component on multiple Windows Virtual Machines. As long as I am not backing them up or restoring something to them at the same time, I only need 1 Online Backup license? Or does this not matter at all since it is likely a filesystem backup/restore task?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Yep. The license is one per OS image where you have installed any DP integration component (fyi, it's one license per OS image hosting any integration component, not one license per integration component).

Thanks,
Scott

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
In that setup, you would have the DP VMware integration component on four separate Windows and Linux servers. Therefore, you will need four on-line extensions for Windows/Linux.

You would not install the VMware integration component on any guest OSs, as none of the guests would be a VC server, VCB proxy, or an ESX service console.

Thanks,
Scott
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Wow... So that would be a minimum of 2 licenses... assuming my proxy was also my VC server.. and I had the ability to move my vm's back and forth so as to take backups from only 1 ESX server?

1 for the proxy/VC server and 1 for the ESX server doing the backups?

Steven

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Yep. The license is one per OS image where you have installed any DP integration component (fyi, it's one license per OS image hosting any integration component, not one license per integration component).

Thanks,
Scott

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks Scott.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.