Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VSS support for backup and Archive bit

Dear all,
just a clarification, please.

When I do backups on W2003 servers, I always enable the VSS support, in order to catch the open files too. But I also see in the backup logs: "Clearing archive flags is not applicable with Volume Shadow Copy backup.".
So, the question is: how can the incremental backups which run later on, distinguish what to backup respect to the previous Full? Does DP looks into his catalogue for each file?

Thanks, Alessandro
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: VSS support for backup and Archive bit

Hi Alessandro,

I don't actually know the answer but it makes sense to me.

Unix backups will work in the same way because Unix doesn't have the archive bit.

There are actually a number of advantages to working this way. Say an incremental backup gets deleted and that had your changed file on it. The next incremental will not find the changed version and will back it up again.

HTH

Jeremy
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Jeremy!

Alex
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Just a comment: Rhetorical BTW

So because DP is designed around backups on UNIX that you put the same file handling rules in place for all Windows O/S'?????

No wonder we Windows System Admins who are forced to use DP, have to "wade" through a bunch of "warning" messages that are actually meant for UNIX users on DP???!!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.