Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Very long backup times

I have a DP 6.1 Cell server that has jobs that seem to be taking longer and longer to complete. In particular I have a job that used to run in 2-3 hours, but now takes 12-13 hours. The backup runs on an hpux 11.31 box. It runs both the media and disk agent. So the I/O is from disk to tape. When the job first starts it runs great, but then it hangs for hours. RDS starts chomping away at a cpu, and then many hours later the job picks back up again.

I already installed the latest core, cell, media, and disk agents. That has not helped. I also installed the latest pthreads patch for hpux. Has anyone run into this, or have any ideas?
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Is the database choked ?

Try to run a backup with logging disabled and see if it will run faster.

/leif
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

What kind of files, just regular data or some kind of database files?
Try turning off the tree walk if you have not done so yet.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The backup starts fine and runs for about 45 minutes. This issue seems pretty consistent. Two file systems complete and then the others get between 18 to 33 percent complete and it hangs. The backup consists of oracle datafiles, and the oracle application directory. We use Business Copy to mount the prod filesystems and back them up. The amount of data is the same as it was when the backups were only taking 2-3 hours. RDS seems to be doing a lot of read and select syscalls.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looks like the issue is tied to the oracle db apps filesystem. It's just strange that this would crop up all the sudden. Looking at older backups, the total data size is the same.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I'm just throwing this out there for something to look at. Could there be some contention with the drives with some other backup or consolidation or copy. Ie someone scheduling a backup that starts shortly after your backup using the same drives. Possible if your backup switches tapes, the other backup takes your drives then releases them when their backup is completed. Then your backup resumes.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ECUse,

Nope. The job takes a single lto4 tape. It's an rds/idb/filesystem issue. I am not sure if it is a particular file, the number of files, or if there is something with trying to read the file from vxfs. Those are my next starting points.

DP probably wouldn't have this sort of issue if they would move away from the crappy db it uses. It's been one of the largest issues for years.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Found the issue. There were 1.8 million audit files in the Oracle home directory. AWESOME!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.