Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Virtual Library System and Licensing

Jump to solution
Hi,

Sorry if this is slightly off topic (if it is then any pointers to a better place to ask would be appreciated). I have a customer who wants to put in place a VLS6510 virtual library system than can, theoretically, have up to 1024 drives (albeit virtual). How do I buy Data Protector for this - if I buy it per drive I seem to be looking at around a million UK Pounds of software! - I am assuming I am missing something...

TIA

Tim
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Virtual Library System and Licensing

Jump to solution
DP 6.0 will let you license by TB capacity in your VLS. DP 6.0 will be available in spring, I believe.

We are on the cusp of implementing DP 5.5 with VLS and currently have drive based licenses. They will be very fast drives, but it would certainly be more convenient to have a tape drive per server instead.

I am going to take this to sales, but don't expect they will budge until DP 6.0.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
DP 6.0 will let you license by TB capacity in your VLS. DP 6.0 will be available in spring, I believe.

We are on the cusp of implementing DP 5.5 with VLS and currently have drive based licenses. They will be very fast drives, but it would certainly be more convenient to have a tape drive per server instead.

I am going to take this to sales, but don't expect they will budge until DP 6.0.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,

There is no difference (DP 5.5) in licensing for hardware based Virtual librarys and ordinary tape librarys, you buy licenses for the number of concurrently running drives, not the number of configured drives or the theoretical number of drives.

Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
True, but with a VLS it may make more sense to be able to license by TB like with the Advanced backup to disk. This "Feature" seems to be listed as an addition to DP 6.0 beta.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi all!

You can choose how to licesene the VLS. You can choose to do it by drive or by TB Advanced to disk. If you choose to do it by drive then it can be very expensive.

Use Advanced to Disk licnese and you have to buy it for the native storage. Compression is transparent for DP as shown below.

Example1: VLS native capacity 5 TB storing 10 TB compressed data
Only 5 * B7038AA are required

Example2: VLS native capacity 10 TB storing non compressible data
Only 5 * B7038AA are required

These examples is taken from HP presentation.

//Mats
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hmm, is this going somewhere?

You don't have a link to the presentation you refer to do you?

Thanks

Tim
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hello,

I have a slightly same problem, we have a customer who bought this type of VLS also, with TB license. HP told us in Böblingen (Germany) that there would be a patch for DP5.5 (5.5a) with support for this product (TB license). We are still awaiting this patch as we want to use this system in this way. I saw the presentation. So where can I send the presentation to?

I hope to hear something soon.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,

I belive the presentation, mentioned in previous replys is HP internal or for customens with "NDA-agreement", not (yet) official.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I do not believe that was said at that particular session. It was also sold to the customer in that particular configuration.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
It would help if I had the name of the presentation. What is the name/author?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
My mail address if anyone has the presentation is tim@mgom.co.uk - we're an HP dealer.

Tim
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
My email address is adam.garsha@marquette.edu
and we (Marquette University) have a non-disclosure agreement with HP. .
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.