Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Paul Rohde
New Member.

Wierd output from pre exec commands

I have a Windows 2003 cell manager, but have two unix HP-UX clients.

For both clients, I have a pre exec command to shutdown a database.

In the session output of the commmand I received messages like this for the output of the pre/post commands.

_all.sh????????????????????????????????????_weeklyeklyeklyekly??????????????
??????????????????????
???????????????g?????????
?????????? c??? ???? ?????? ?? ????????g????????????????????????
??????????????? c??? ???? ?????? ?? ????????g??????????????????????4?
?????????? c??? ???? ?????? ?? ????????g????? ????????g???????4?
?????????

Its a garbled mess.

For the rest of the session, everthing is readbable, its only the pre and post exec commands that are outputing this mess.

Any ideas?
0 Likes
3 Replies
A. Clay Stephen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Wierd output from pre exec commands

This is a pure guess but those could be terminal escape sequences. Somewhere near the top of the pre-exec'ed script, you might try "export TERM=dumb".
I would also add some probes like "echo Probe1" to see if the garbage is being generated by the shell, by your database commands, or whatever. It's also possible this is a font problem so you might trying seeing if all those "?'s" are the same hex value or does the 8th bit need to be turned off.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
0 Likes
Scott McIntosh_ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Patches is the first thing that comes to mind. I don't remember the issue with UNIX clients, but certainly with OpenVMS clients. What's /opt/omni/lbin/inet -version report on the UX clients? What CORE and CS and CC patches are on the cell manager? What CORE and CC patches are on the PC where you are running the GUI?

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
0 Likes
Paul Rohde
New Member.

Patches is also what I was thinking of but I'm not sure which patches.

The /opt/omni/bin/inet - version.

HP OpenView Storage Data Protector A.05.50: INET, internal build 330, built on Tue Oct 12 18:08:47 2004

Patches on the Windows 2003 Cell are as follows
DPWIN_000168 Core
DPWIN_000169 User Interface

Same for Windows XP client.

There are no patches on the unix client or the unix install server.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.