Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Charles McCary Absent Member.
Absent Member.

data protector question

Jump to solution
Posted this in the dp forum, but didn't get any replies....

Group,

Looking for advice:

We have a cell manager and and two clients in our prod environment. They share an MSL6000.

We also have a remote site with two systems and another MSL6000, this is our DR environment.

I'm looking for the best solution to be able to restore backups to the remote site from tape if the need arises. (We periodically remove tapes from the library to an offsite location, so in a DR situation we could have the tapes but not the original cell manager).

I've always thought I could simply create a new cell manager with my current licenses on the DR site, then import the tapes that I have, but after doing some reading I'm not sure that would work.

I have the dp s/w installed on the remote site, but with no licenses at this time.

Appreciate any thoughts.

thanks,

Charlie
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rita C Workman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: data protector question

Jump to solution
If I get the "dr" licenses from hp, couldn't I go ahead and install them on my "dr" box without recovering that box from an ignite backup?

>>>Yes you could.

If I did go ahead and install the licenses and get dp running over there, what would I need to do to import a specific set of tapes and the objects on those tapes?

>>>From the perspective of a fresh DP setup you would have to configure the library, add your clients, configure backups, etc.
To import your tapes:
From the Gui - Once you have the library configured, put the tapes in the slots/barcode scan/select Devices/Highlight the tape in slot & right click - Import

Hope that helps,
Rita

0 Likes
13 Replies
Steven E. Prott Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Shalom Charlie,

Importing the tapes probably will work as per your plan.

But you should have a DR rehearsal and try this theory out, create documentation so you have a greater degree of certainty.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
0 Likes
Johnson Punniya Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Charlie,

Have done this very long time back, as same like as you above scenario ,

simple logic export backup session from (Prod) and import the session on (DR) DP, but i am not sure on the "no lincenses" .. 😞

Check below thread & comments from >Shoghi Martinez G.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1399404

HTH,

Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I'm not married to the "installing licenses on my dr site" plan, but only trying to verify it will work. Don't know how I can have a rehearsal with installing the licenses on a separate box.

I'm open to the best way to restore tapes to the DR site, just need suggestions. If I need to buy licenses I will look in to that.

c
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Well, you could rebuild your boxes out there using recovery tapes. Make sure that one of them is the box that runs DP. At that point you would just have to go in and touch up, example: correct device address on your robotic arm. Your database, your backups, everything would be there up the point of when you ran the recovery tape. No license issues, no need to install anything. You are rebuilding the box!

Now to get it more current - you could on a daily basis, stop Data Protector briefly, tar all of /etc/opt/omni and /var/opt/omni to one big tarball and then - remote copy that over to diskspace at your remote site. Or if you can't remote copy it, make a simple dat tape and send that daily to DR site.
Then untar the tape on DR box and now your DP is up to date within last 24 hours. No need to import tape, the data is now in the database. Just get your tapes and put in library.

You could still use your DP server for other things (depending on the power of the box).

This is how we restore all our systems at our DR site, using only tape. We have a small remote server there (more like a workstation) and we automated sending the tarball, we put DR documentation down there. We restore all HPUX prod & all Windows prod successfully from Data Protector on tape.
We restore the DP box, but at DR we use this box to mount other f/s that run certain applications, and for DR we run them on the DP box. It's a trick because we have to fake out MC/SG and turn less servers into 1 node clusters.

This was very encapsulated...but it does work.

Rgrds,
Rita

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Rita,

thanks for the info, couple of follow-up questions....

1) I assume that the DR box would need to be the same host name and IP address after the recovery in order for the licenses on DP not to bark? Not sure that's possible in my environment due to physical locations and IP address availability.

2) I really only want to be able to recovery some db backups from the original systems, so I'm not sure I'd want to do a full recovery with ignite, etc...this is not really a question though, just a thought.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
1) I assume that the DR box would need to be the same host name and IP address after the recovery in order for the licenses on DP not to bark? Not sure that's possible in my environment due to physical locations and IP address availability.

>>>Yes, your box would ignite with the old info & licensure. But that doesn't mean that you couldn't have already done a call to HP and gotten fresh licensing codewords for the DR box (IP) out there. They've done it for me when I had similar setup in past. The key is remember to tell them it's for your DR box and only used for that.
>>>>And don't forget that once you change the server IP, you should also adjust your hostfile as well. T

2) I really only want to be able to recovery some db backups from the original systems, so I'm not sure I'd want to do a full recovery with ignite, etc...this is not really a question though, just a thought.

>>>>You're recovering Data Protector database, that's the point. Restore what you want. Remember though, disaster recovery is to get production up quick and working. That's the 1st phase. Then the 2nd phase is to be able to restore everything back when site is restored. Only with a full DP database at this point could you do that quickly. And I assure you after a DR, they want it all back quick. Your backups would continue during DR event, so your database would then change! If you don' start with a full DP database, then you would have to re-import all those other tapes. You are just adding on more work, more details, more time at the end of a DR event.
The key to things...keep it as simple as you can. Keep it as clean as you can. That is from the beginning of a DR with getting prod up - to the end when you rebuild/restore EVERYTHING.

Kindest regards, and the above opinions are just my 'Keep is Simple' views...
Rita
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Ok, I'm a little confused, so help me out if you can 🙂

If I get the "dr" licenses from hp, couldn't I go ahead and install them on my "dr" box without recovering that box from an ignite backup?

If I did go ahead and install the licenses and get dp running over there, what would I need to do to import a specific set of tapes and the objects on those tapes?

You may have already answered that above, but if so I didn't process it correctly.

Sorry for the dumb question.

c

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

>>>Yes you could.

>>>From the perspective of a fresh DP setup you would have to configure the library, add your clients, configure backups, etc.
To import your tapes:
From the Gui - Once you have the library configured, put the tapes in the slots/barcode scan/select Devices/Highlight the tape in slot & right click - Import

Hope that helps,
Rita

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
thanks, we may give this a try....do I need to have anything from the original system like the omniback db in order to do the import, or will it just recognize the tapes as from another cell?

0 Likes
Doug Burton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Just a thought here...

If your connectivity is good enough you could setup your DR box to be the Cell Server. Continue to do your local backups at the "regular" site and DR site. All to there respective Libraries. This way your DP database is in the DR location. No need to rebuild/create that part at least.

It will know about the tapes as well. You may not need to rescan, etc.

It's something to think about at least.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Charles,

You shouldn't. Once you have DP up and running with hardware, remembering that your DR Data Protector would at that point be pretty 'empty', you would simply put in your tapes and run the tape import process.

----------------------------------
Doug,

If your connectivity is good enough you could setup your DR box to be the Cell Server. Continue to do your local backups at the "regular" site and DR site. All to there respective Libraries. This way your DP database is in the DR location. No need to rebuild/create that part at least.

>>>Technically that may very well be a license usage violation.
Also, depending on Charles' production environment, it might involve additional downtime for cold backups or at the least addtional time in hotbackup mode for that DR networks; not to metion additional network traffic while it's running. But the post doesn't mention network connectivity between sites.
Now if he did have network between sites....a whole new list of possibilities opens up.

Kindest regards,
Rita
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I do have network connectivity between sites....however, I wouldn't want to significantly impact the throughput on that network if it could be avoided.

thanks,

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
thanks everyone
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.