PeterKiel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dataprotector 9 push installation from installation server to linux client does not work

Jump to solution

I have a CentOS installation server and try to deploy the disk agent of DP9.09 to other linux hosts.
I can ssh as root to the client through public key authentication but if I use ob2install I do not even see a trace of a connection in the client logs.

My installation command is:

/opt/omni/sbin/ob2install -server $(hostname -f) -input obinstall.txt

which I run on the installation server, thus hostname -f expands to the FQDN of the IS.

I tried various ob2install options as listed here:

cat obinstall.txt
        -host "lxclient.mycompany.com" -da "A.09.09" -push_inst "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" 2 4
        -host "lxclient.mycompany.com" -da "A.09.09" -push_inst "-" "-" "-" "-" "-" 2 1
        -host "lxclient.mycompany.com" -da "A.09.09" -push_inst "-" "-" "-" "-" "cellSvr" 2 1
        -host "lxclient.mycompany.com" -da "A.09.09" -push_inst "-" "-" "-" "-" "cellSvr.mycompany.com" 2 1

but all of them failed.
This is the error output

Sending installation data to binary master on instSvr.mycompany.com
********************** DEFAULT ERROR REPORT *********************************
15 [12:1] [2002] 1492511067 OB2INSTALL instSvr.mycompany.com - : unknown cell server *****************************************************************************

15 [12:1] [2002] 1492511072 OB2INSTALL instSvr.mycompany.com - : unknown cell server *****************************************************************************

15 [12:1] [2002] 1492511072 OB2INSTALL instSvr.mycompany.com      You have no permission to install client lxclient.mycompany.com -da A.09.09 in cell cellSvr.mycompany.com! *****************************************************************************

15 [12:1] [2002] 1492511072 OB2INSTALL instSvr.mycompany.com      You have no permission to install client lxclient.mycompany.com -da A.09.09 in cell cellSvr.mycompany.com! *****************************************************************************
        Aborting. *****************************************************************************

I do not see any ssh connection attempts of ob2install which irritates me as a normal ssh session shows up well in the system log.
How can I troubleshoot the problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
antaln Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: dataprotector 9 push installation from installation server to linux client does not work

Jump to solution

You can add the linux user on Windows cell server - presence of AD is no obstacle.

Follow the standard steps for adding unix user to Data Protector user list

1. open a Data Protector GUI
  2. select Users context
  3. in left pane, right-click on Admin group and click "Add/delete users"
  4. in right-pane, select type "UNIX", type the linux user in "name" field and linux user's primary group in "Group/domain" field, and select installation server host under "client".
  5. confirm addition of the user by clicking the ">>" button on the top-right side
  6. click "finish"

After this, you should be able to perform ob2install with cell server specified.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: dataprotector 9 push installation from installation server to linux client does not work

Jump to solution

ob2install does not use ssh, binary master does. Ob2install starts and connects to binary master. If ob2install or binary master fails, you would not see any SSH connection attempts.

First two lines of ob2install.txt do not have the correct format (they are missing a valid cell server name). For those, ob2install complains about unknown cell server.

Third and fourth line in ob2install.txt are correct. For those lines, ob2install reports error:

You have no permission to install client lxclient.mycompany.com -da A.09.09 in cell cellSvr.mycompany.com!

This means that the user account that is starting ob2install does not have admin-role privileges in Data Protector user list. You should add the user account to the admin group in Data Protector user list.

#edit: all observed failures are reported by ob2install

PeterKiel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.
From the ob2install manual page I read:

CellManagerName
Specifies the name of the Cell Manager to whose cell the remote system will be added. To only
install components on the remote system without adding it to a cell, use a placeholder ("-").

Thus I assumed that I do not need to specify a Cell Manager.
If I understand you correctly there is no way to install to a client directly from the installation server but the whole transfer process is done from the cell manager?
Does that mean the cell manager pulls the files over the network from the IS (via port 5555) and then shifts them to the client via ssh?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

No, the transfer process is done from the IS directly. Ob2install just talks to Binary Master on IS to give it instructions and monitor the progress.

Ob2install requires the cell server hostname to check permissions against and to know which cell to import the client into after the installation. I don't see it being an optional entry, though. This may require support involvement.

0 Likes
PeterKiel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

So I guess that the man page is wrong when it states that I can "install components on the remote system without adding it to a cell,".
If I could install without adding to the cell I could import the client to the cell manager manually.
Without this I have the problem that the install server is a Linux machine and the cell server is a windows server.The linux user who runs the install is not known to windows as our company AD is centrally managed and restricted.
How can I get the linux user added to the cell manager admin user group so that the ob2install runs successfully?

BTW: As a workaround I installed the client locally from ISO, manually imported it to the cell and then pushed the patch updates to it from the cell manager.
It took about 2 hours to patch update the client but in the end it worked, alas it is a very cumbersome process and not suitable for deployment.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

You can add the linux user on Windows cell server - presence of AD is no obstacle.

Follow the standard steps for adding unix user to Data Protector user list

1. open a Data Protector GUI
  2. select Users context
  3. in left pane, right-click on Admin group and click "Add/delete users"
  4. in right-pane, select type "UNIX", type the linux user in "name" field and linux user's primary group in "Group/domain" field, and select installation server host under "client".
  5. confirm addition of the user by clicking the ">>" button on the top-right side
  6. click "finish"

After this, you should be able to perform ob2install with cell server specified.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.