Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Contributor.. Mandosa Contributor..
Contributor..

determine total backup content that data protector is aware of

I am trying to determine the total amount of data that data protector is aware of that it has stored. 

The problem is i have run out of space on my backup to disk location, and i can see the total stored in that location (125TB), but i am quite sure that i haven't backed up that much data yet. 

I know i can look at the details of each job individually and tally the total backup contents, but is there an easy way that data protector can report on its total backup?

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: determine total backup content that data protector is aware of

There are a couple of commands you might use, but I don't kow if they are going to give you what you want

omnirpt -report session_statistics -timeframe [start] [finish] -tab -log [path to filename]

[start] and [finish] give you a timeframe to look at and must be stated in this format

yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm

-tab will output a tab-seperated file which you an import into Excel

-log [path to filename]  gives you the opportunity to state a destination path

So, for example, to get a summary of all backups from Jan 1, 2012 to yesterday, the command would be

omnirpt -report session_statistics -timeframe 2012/01/01 00:01 2014/06/30 23:59 -tab -log D:\stats.txt

Now, I don't know if this is raw data showing everything that has been backed up, or just backups that are still under protection

The other command is

omnirpt -report media_list -tab -log [path to filename]

In terms of trying to free up some space, see what sessions are the oldest, and either right-click on the media, pick Change Data Protection, and set it to None, or Recycle the Media used for that session.  Every day, DP looks for sessions that have no protection, removes teh catalog from teh IDB, and removes the media if it is File-type

0 Likes
Contributor..

thanks,

I've done the above command it is returning about 90TB has been backed up.  My backup to disk device is showing 125TB full.  Is there a way to reconcile these and delete the files that don't seem to belong to any backup job?

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You can try

omnimm -delete_unprotected_media

When invoked, Data Protector builds a list of unprotected backed-up objects residing in the B2D device. Data Protector first removes them from the store and then deletes the media information from the Data Protector database. Note that removing media from the store does not free-up disk space, it merely instructs the store to obsolete the data. You can optionally specify the name of the library. In this case only unprotected media from the specified library are deleted

0 Likes
Contributor..

i'm not sure what you  mean by: 'removing media from the store does not free-up disk space'.   my backup to disk is accessed as an NFS share.  does removing from the store actually delete the *.fd files?

thanks.

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I believe that it does delete the 'fd' files

0 Likes
Contributor..

"omnimm -delete_unprotected_media -all" is giving me a 'There is no Backup to Disk device configured'.

my backup to disk device is configured as a File Library.  this might not work with this configuration?

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is new to me, I had thought that it would work with both a File Library Device and a Backup to Disk Device, which  is usually reserved for a StoreOnce device

0 Likes
André Beck
Visitor.

Hi Bob,

This is new to me, I had thought that it would work with both a File Library Device and a Backup to Disk Device, which  is usually reserved for a StoreOnce device

That's not necessary. File Libraries have always automatically purged all meanwhile expired media on every write access. Given that was a quick removal of some large files (the only thing that could slow it down being a file system that doesn't like this specific operation, like ext3, and maybe DFMF overhead in case the option was in use), it didn't matter that happened before it actually started to write. The method has changed with B2D/StoreOnce for good reasons (imagine the havoc it would wreak when media was purged and thus housekeeping started exactly at the begin of every write activity like a backup). Could also happen with a File Library on a StoreOnce Share, but at least you have housekeeping windows there.

HTH,

Andre.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.