Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Paul Rohde
New Member.

different data retention for tape and disk backup

Jump to solution
I am running DP 6.0 on a Windows cell backing with Windows and HP-UX server

I setup a backup that backs up all of an HP-UX 11.31 rx6600 server to tape and also backs up a few of the volumes as a (mirror) to disk for redundancy.

I want to set the retention of the tape backup to be 2 weeks and set the retention for the disk (mirror) backup to be 1 day.

Is this possible, I don't see any options for having a separate retention policy for the mirror?

Or is there a command I can run after the backup that will change the retention of the disk Mirror to 1 day?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Georges Esteves Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: different data retention for tape and disk backup

Jump to solution
hi,

i would use the following commands:

omnirpt -report media_list timeframe to get the media list used,

omnimm -recycle SUPPORT to recycle the disk medias.

Regards
Georges.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
hi,

there is no way to write a miror with different retention, or to change it afterward.

the only way to achive your needs, is to use a copy operation to duplicate data from disk to tape or tape to disk as you want, and change on the way the data copie retention.

this copie can be done in post backup, or scheduled, but it will duplicate whole the backup session data.

another way it to execute manualy the data copy, based on object selection.

i suggest you to take a llok at the DP concept guide which describe every copy functionnality possibilities.

Hope this help.

Regards.
Georges.
0 Likes
Paul Rohde
New Member.

Jump to solution
The copy was my backup plan if there was no way to change the retention via a command.

I will use the copy operation to change the retention of the mirror copy on disk as I write it to tape.

It's a step I really don't need as I already have a copy of the same data on tape, but it allows me to automate this process and acheives my goal.

Now since I can select the source library ( my disk library) while setting up the copy, this copy operation should not affect the retention of the tape copy, right? It will only copy the data on disk to tape and recycle the retention on the disk copies, right?

I will be verifying this process tomorrow.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
hi,

in fact the copy process allow to do what ever you want, you can change the retention or not, recycle the source or not, all those parameter are configurable.

after reflexion perhpas there is a way to achive the different retention with the mirror function.

launch you backup with drive mirror, and the full data retention, then once the disk retention is finished, you recycle the disk media with a command. i 've never tried this but it should work !!

Hope This Help.

PS: Please assign points, if the posts were helpfull.

Regards
Georges.

0 Likes
Paul Rohde
New Member.

Jump to solution
Do you know what the command would be?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
hi,

i would use the following commands:

omnirpt -report media_list timeframe to get the media list used,

omnimm -recycle SUPPORT to recycle the disk medias.

Regards
Georges.
0 Likes
Paul Rohde
New Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for your help. I've got it working fine now.

I run the normal backup to tape and mirror to disk. The next day,before the same backu runs again, I have a scheduled batch job to remove the retention from the disk (mirror) copy. Freeing up the disk backup media to be written over again.

This process leaves the retention for the backup to tape alone as I wanted.

I tried to submit 9 points for you, if it did not work please reply back and I'll try it again.

I will close the thread.

Thanks again!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Paul Rohde
New Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.