Respected Contributor.. nschwendener Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

disaster recovery os not starting with DP10.50 and Windows 2012R2

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I'm testing the DP Disaster Recovery procedure on our infrastructure.

Right now we have the following configuration:

• Data Protector 10.50
  • Cell Manager on Windows server 2016
  • Windows ADK 1703 (for Windows server 2016)  and 1.1 (for Windows Server 2012R2) installed on the Cell Manager
  • many servers based on Windows server 2016, and 2019
  • some servers based on Windows serer 2012R2, 2008R2,
  • few servers based on RedHat and CentOS.

I've successfully ran a DR test on a "client" based on a Virtual Machine with Windows Server 2016.

Right now I'm stuck on testing a DR procedure on a VM based on Windows Server 2012R2. The procedure of generating the ISO works fine, but once I boot the test server mounting the ISO image created with DP, I see the Windows Logo (of the Windows PE) but then the server reboot. I think could be the network drivers but right now I'm using the E1000 network card in order to be the most compatible with every system.

How can I bypass this problem?

thank you very much

Nicola

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: disaster recovery os not starting with DP10.50 and Windows 2012R2

Jump to solution

Hello @nschwendener,

Yes, we have used the Windows release with the corresponding ADK/WAIK installed as Media Creation host. I find it troubling enough that the ADK/WAIK can't coexist on the same Media Creation host. With your finding a 1:1 relationship seems the best solution. Thanks for sharing. Maybe this is something for Micro Focus support?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hello @nschwendener,

Never seen this before and this is strange, because I'm also running various EADR tests right now. Is the VM running on ESX, HyperV or something different? Do you perform the restore attempt in the source VM or a different VM? Is the VM BIOS or UEFI based?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Sebastian,

thank you very much for your interest. I'm running these tests in a VMWare ESXi environment.

I'm performing the test on the same VM with a new Hard Disk. the boot is set on Bios option.

thank you again

best regards

Nicola

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hello Sebastian,
I was wondering if could be that the DR OS for the Windows 2012R2 has been generated on a Windows 2016 server (with the ADK 1.1 (that should be for Windows 2012R2), in some manner is not working as expected.
thank you very much
Nicola
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Sebastian,

as I suspected, the DR OS created on a Windows Server 2012R2 was able to start correctly and execute correctly the entire workflow of DR.

In your tests, do you always create the DR OS from an identical OS Source?

thank you again for your interest.

best regards

Nicola

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hello @nschwendener,

Yes, we have used the Windows release with the corresponding ADK/WAIK installed as Media Creation host. I find it troubling enough that the ADK/WAIK can't coexist on the same Media Creation host. With your finding a 1:1 relationship seems the best solution. Thanks for sharing. Maybe this is something for Micro Focus support?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi Sebastian,
thank you very much for your reply. In this case, I will create some "proxy" server in order to be able to create the DR OS for each OS version.
thank you very much.
best regards

Nicola
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.