Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
BahaaHeiba Absent Member.
Absent Member.

guide needed

Hello ,,

I have security issues in my HP-UX server and it has to be solved as soon as posible,

I need to upgrade the HP Data protector, and enable encrypted control communication services on cell server and
all clients in cell.

Also I have an issue of " SNMP Agent Default Community Name (public)" so I need to change the default community string.

can you guide me or provide me with the steps to do that, please ?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor.. Bill Hassell Contributor..
Contributor..

Re: guide needed

What version of Data Protector do you have now?

Depending on the current version, you may have a fairly easy set of steps, or an obsolete version (like 6.xx) may require an extensive set of steps to migrate the database to the new version. Do you have a support contract with HP for Data Protector? That is required in order to download the latest patches and versions.

SNMP is unfortunately enabled by default on HP-UX installs. If you are not using the SNMP service, edit all the files in /etc/rc.config.d that start with "SNMP" and set the enabling variables to =0

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
BahaaHeiba Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thank you Bill for your reply

HP Data Protector < A.06.20, and the security advice to apply the relevant patches referenced in HP's advisory (patch A.06.20
or higher). And enable encrypted control communication services. 

Yes I have HP contract. but is it safe to migration database to new version ?

if there is a way to upgrade to mentioned version to avoid the issue, it will be nice :)

0 Likes
Contributor.. Bill Hassell Contributor..
Contributor..

All versions less than 7 are obsolete and unsupported:

http://support.openview.hp.com/encore/dp-62x.jsp

You will have to login to the Data Protector support site using your HP SAID contract and download a supported version (7,8 or 9) where version 9 is recommended. There are many steps needed to convert the database file (DB40) into the new format. Basically, you export your DB40 file (will need more than 2x the space in a temp filesystem), then uninstall version 6.20, then install the new version. With 6.20, the recommendation is to the cell manager to 7, then patch to 7.03, then upgrade to 8.1 and finally to 9.

I've left out details since the exact steps depends on how many different cell managers, disk agents (clients), tape agents, etc that you have.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.