Highlighted
alenko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hpdp1.domain.lan connects to localhost but connected system presents itself as hpdp1.domain.lan?

Jump to solution

Hi. I'm trying to understand, how it works, but can't.

Installed DP CM on server1 (RHEL 6.4), then DA on server3(win2008R2), server2(RHEL 6.4) and server1.

Managin GUI on win server.

Can backup only server1. iptables disabled.

On server2 I see CRS connection failed, but encrypting disabled, name resolving is ok. iptables disabled.

server3 have had CRS error too, but now it's connecting to the CM.

server3 just says "Cannot connect to Media Agent on system localhost, port [40000-50000]", name resolving is OK, windows firewall disabled.

On CM:

# omnicheck -dns
DNS check: hpdp.domain.lan cannot connect to wintest08.domain.lan
DNS check: hpdp.domain.lan connects to localhost,
           but connected system presents itself as hpdp.domain.lan
DNS check: hpdp1.domain.lan connects to localhost,
           but connected system presents itself as hpdp1.domain.lan
DNS check: hpdp.domain.lan cannot connect to hpdp1.domain.lan
DNS check: 4 checks failed.

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 hpdp1.domain.lan
xx.xx.3.164 hpdp.domain.lan
xx.xx.3.81 wintest08.domain.lan

Other clients have the save in hosts. As I think and netstat shows, ports in 40000-60000 range not used. Why? 

I gave root privileges for hpdp user  (whatever not working), rebooted, thinked it would help. No.

I fell myself very foolishly in *nix and ..) 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: hpdp1.domain.lan connects to localhost but connected system presents itself as hpdp1.domain.lan?

Jump to solution

Regarding the error

"Cannot connect to Media Agent on system localhost, port [40000-50000]"

even though you said that Windows firewall is disabled, the error message seems to indicate that there is a firewall in the configuration somewhere. After making an initial contact with the Disk Agent and Media Agent through port 5555, Data Protector uses 'Dynamic Port Addressing' to grab any port that is available.  There is no firewall rule that allows data to flow through any port

First, you need to be sure that there is no firewall involved anywhere in the systems involved in this backup.  If you find one running, and don't want to use it, turn it off.  If it needs to be in place,  you need to create a firewall rule to set a port range for data to pass though, and to add the Data Protector environment variable OB2PORTRANGE to the 'omnirc' file on all servers affected

For the connection problem, check connection outside of Data Protector.  On the cell manager 'server1'

nslookup  server2

telnet server2 5555

and do the same from 'server 2' back to the cell manager

nslookup server1

telnet server1 5555

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: hpdp1.domain.lan connects to localhost but connected system presents itself as hpdp1.domain.lan?

Jump to solution

Regarding the error

"Cannot connect to Media Agent on system localhost, port [40000-50000]"

even though you said that Windows firewall is disabled, the error message seems to indicate that there is a firewall in the configuration somewhere. After making an initial contact with the Disk Agent and Media Agent through port 5555, Data Protector uses 'Dynamic Port Addressing' to grab any port that is available.  There is no firewall rule that allows data to flow through any port

First, you need to be sure that there is no firewall involved anywhere in the systems involved in this backup.  If you find one running, and don't want to use it, turn it off.  If it needs to be in place,  you need to create a firewall rule to set a port range for data to pass though, and to add the Data Protector environment variable OB2PORTRANGE to the 'omnirc' file on all servers affected

For the connection problem, check connection outside of Data Protector.  On the cell manager 'server1'

nslookup  server2

telnet server2 5555

and do the same from 'server 2' back to the cell manager

nslookup server1

telnet server1 5555

Tags (1)
alenko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

It's all ok, telnet on 5555 works in both directions, but DP tries to connect in that range and fails. I deleted omnirc. Whatever.

I don't understand.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. KasparsB Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

On which server is your Media Agent installed?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.