Frequent Contributor.. David Pal Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

migrating a VM cell manager to new Windows OS

I have to migrate our current Win2k8R2 cellmgr running DP9.09 to Win2k16. 

Both servers are VMs and to keep the process simple(I think), I want to keep the name and the IP the same.

On my original CM, I have everything installed on the D:\ partition which is a separate virtual disk. On my target server, the vdisks are configured the same as the original - C:\ for OS only, D:\ for DP.

My theory is that I could install DP9.09 on the target server with the installation pointing to D:\ as it exists on the source. Once the install is complete, I could just disconnect the D:\ vdisk from the source and use it to replace the D:\ vdisk on the target. Will this work? if not, why?

Any help is greatly appreciated

0 Likes
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: migrating a VM cell manager to new Windows OS

Hello @David Pal

To be honest I do not think this is a good idea. First of all, when you install it DP creates OS registries, how will you be updated with the information you will mount? 

But you don't lose anything trying and letting us know. Anyway, this is not the supported procedure for DP support, so if something goes wrong support cannot help you. 

The normal procedure and the one I recommended is to do a full IDB restore. If you will use the same IP and hostname, the offline restore works well. 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Wouldn't all of the registry entries be created during the install? So as long as I install DP on the target server on D:\ which is the same location as I have on the source server, shouldn't all the registry entries be the same as the source? Then when I make  the D:\ from the source become the D:\ on the target, shouldn't everything look the same as the original?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can try, if works excellent, let us know. But the documented procedure is other. 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @David Pal,

This will work fine. Just make sure to install Data Protector with the same user account as on the source server. If the user account is a domain user then there is nothing else to do. If it is a local user account you need to adjust the file system permissions (service account must have direct full control in OmniBack\server directory, not using a group) before starting the services on the target VM.

If you use a different user name you need to adjust a few configuration files manually.

Since the IDB is not copied at the file system level (you move the whole disk) it is also not necessary to re-create the IDB junctions. I share the procedure in any case.

O:\>rmdir /Q O:\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc\16387

O:\>rmdir /Q O:\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc\16445

O:\>mklink /J O:\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc\16387 O:\OmniBack\server\db80\idb
Junction created for O:\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc\16387 <<===>> O:\OmniBack\server\db80\idb

O:\>mklink /J O:\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc\16445 O:\OmniBack\server\db80\jce
Junction created for O:\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc\16445 <<===>> O:\OmniBack\server\db80\jce

Once this step is done and everything works fine you should consider upgrading to DP 10.x.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Tags (1)
Frequent Contributor..

@Sebastian.Koehler 

Thanks for your reply. Is this the same user account that would be under omniinetpasswd -list? the omniinetpasswd user and the original install account are different

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @David Pal,

It is the PGOSUSER user found in C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\idb\idb.config and used to start the services. Check the Data Protector services in services.msc for the currently used user. This user should be specified during software installation. 

Also don't forget to configure Impersonate a client after authentication and Replace a process level token for this user. Here is the reference for Data Protector 10.60, but this requirement was valid at this time, too.

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.12/PreInstallTasks#Windows_Cell_Manager_in_non-cluster_mode

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

@Sebastian.Koehler 

Thanks for the info. All of my DP services are using Local System as the user. Is that ok?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @David Pal,

Well, this is not how it is supposed to be, but it works. During the setup it will ask for a user and will register the services with it. You will need to change this after replacing the disk. Then it should work fine.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Hi @Sebastian.Koehler 

The process seemed to work fine except now I cannot seem to backup the IDB.

[Normal] From: OB2BAR_POSTGRES_BAR@cellmgr1"DPIDB" Time: 1/13/2020 2:42:38 PM
Putting the Internal database into the backup mode finished

[Critical] From: OB2BAR_POSTGRES_BAR@cellmgr1"DPIDB" Time: 1/13/2020 2:42:38 PM
Putting the Internal Database into the backup mode failed

in the postgresql log, I see:

2020-01-13 08:18:39 EST LOG: no match in usermap "hpdpidb" for user "hpdp" authenticated as "SYSTEM"
2020-01-13 08:18:39 EST FATAL: SSPI authentication failed for user "hpdp"

is it just a matter of changing the pg_indent.conf? Would the line be:

# MAPNAME     SYSTEM-USERNAME     PG-USERNAME

hpdpidb               SYSTEM                         hpdb

I apprecieate your help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.