Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

need to re-configure

Jump to solution
Hi,

We are using DP 5.5 and have around hundred of backup specs using 17 drives with 162 slots. The problem we face is frequent backup failure due to some of following reasons:
1.)Timeout waiting for device.
2.)Device address not found.

We are planning to re-assign drives to each backup specs in such a way, that atleast backup should not fail for "timeout waiting for device". We can also retrieve actual time of each backup duration. The problem is that I am new in using Data Protector, and would appreciate if I get some expert advice on
"any algorithm or method of assigning drive to backup specs in such a way to avoid conflicts".

Also, when I try to retrieve report to understand current config. for "each backup specs assigned which device", the DP hangs.

If any other input is required, please let me know.

Thanks
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
No, only the drives in use are locked, not all available drives. So assign all 17 drives to all backups and set Max to something like 3, then you'll get at least 6 backups going at the same time. Modify the timeout for the rest of the backups to wait long enough without timing our for devices to be complete and released.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

Some useful "tricks".

Increase the parameter "SmVaitForDevice" in the global option file (default is 60 min).

Use load balancing, assign as many drives as possible for each backup spec. . Then set the max. and min. number of drives for every spec..
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks for reply. You said, allocate as many devices... I could not understood this. If on backup specs holds so many drives, then other backup specs will keep on waiting.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
No, only the drives in use are locked, not all available drives. So assign all 17 drives to all backups and set Max to something like 3, then you'll get at least 6 backups going at the same time. Modify the timeout for the rest of the backups to wait long enough without timing our for devices to be complete and released.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks , I'll try this and will get back with observation. Is there any way to see how drives are currently allocated to all backup specs
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi ,

Can you suggest best value for MIN also.

thanks
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.