Jim Mallett Absent Member.
Absent Member.

omnimm -repository_update Issue

Is there any setting to have the omnimm -repository_update command wait a little longer between tape loads? Anything in the global file?

Background:
I have an L2000 with a Surestore 1/9 attached to it. Tapes consistently get stuck in the drive when doing a repository update. I have switched hosts, switched cables, terminators, tapes, reset to factory presets, recreated picker file, etc. HP has been in and brought and installed a brand new unit.
I gave up for a while and used it with 1 tape while I was on other projects. I've been testing it over the past few days and it seems that there is a delay unloading a tape from time to time and omnimm is issuing the command to load the next tape, causing a hard error (overlapping commands).

If I have one tape in, I can do a repository update till I'm blue in the face and it's fine. When there are multiple tapes it's a crap shoot.

This part is even stranger: If I use HP DLTs the tape just jams in the drive. If I use Quantum or Fuji it will actually rip the leader off the tape.

Either way, I'm up for anything at this point.

Thanks...
Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
0 Likes
1 Reply
Joseph T. Wycko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: omnimm -repository_update Issue

There are a series of variables that can be set to adjust omniback timing for tape commands, but I am not sure any of them will really be relevant here.

They are to be placed in the .omnirc file of the host connected to the tape drive - thus affecting tape drives on ONLY ONE HOST.

In general I think you are interested in the SLEEP variables.

OB2DEVSLEEP=
OB2REWINDSLEEP=
OB2OFFLINESLEEP=
OB2XS2SLEEP=

The sleep variables values are in seconds...

So for testing purposes, I propose you try these set to fairly large (arguable unreasonably large) values such as

OB2REWINDSLEEP=180
OB2OFFLINESLEEP=180
OB2XS2SLEEP=180
OB2DEVSLEEP=180

If that actually does useful things for you, trim them down to more reasonable values along the lines of 45 seconds...

I do not know if these will affect the repository update command - it is my guess they will.

I also do not know if any of these are the right variables for your scenario.

For tuning this, consider a call to the response center - there are also a few other SLEEP variables - but they are fairly "special case".

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.