Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

omniobjcopy ( I want to copy a session to another tape)

Hello,

That´s my situation:

I have a backup of my IDB from 28-04-2016 (session ID is : 2016/04/28-2441) but unfortunatelly I did it to the wrong POOL. (ist should belong to MONTHLY pool but I forgot to change the pool after copying the job). So now this Monthly backup is in my Daily Pool but with a retention of 2 years.

So I tried to do a "copy session" with the GUI..... Unfortunatelly the GUI only shows the last 64000 sessions... I have about 950.000 so I do not "see" the session von 28.04.2016 any more.

So I thought I would use the CLI to do this:

omniobjcopy -session 2016/04/28-2441 -targetdevice 'Drive03_aii_lansan01' -pool LIB_MONTHLY

is what I tried but HPDP tells me :

[Critical] From: CSM@aii-dp "Interactive" Time: 05.07.2016 15:48:03
[61:4008] Logical device "Drive03_aii_lansan01" not found in the database.

See attachment of my Drives ...

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Your command is correct while the quotes might cause trouble. I did a simple interactive object copy with this command and it works (on A.09.07).

omniobjcopy -session SessionID -targetdevice B2D_FS_gw1 -pool B2D_FS

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I did the same test without the quotes, unfortunalley nothing changed.

The "only" difference i see so far to your test: I am still working with 9.04.

I will download 9.07 tomorrow and I need to do a testinstall on another server.

(maybe try to copy only the omniobjcopy binary from 9.07)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It might be related with the amount of sessions, objects and devices in your cell. Can't tell for sure without omniobjectcopy debugs. Have you tried the interactive object copy in GUI using the Media selection view?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

dont put single quotes round the device name. Just leave the name with no quotes and should work fine.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi, Sebastian.

I trying it with DP 9.09.

omniobjcopy -session 2018/12/27-179 -targetdevice P1-VTL-SAP-01_DRV1

But omniobjcopy select strange objects from IDB for copy - it not related session with ID 2018/12/27-179.

In support knowledge base i find same enhancement  request:

This is an enhancement request to enable Data Protector to support usage of the following syntax:
omniobjcopy -session <SessionID> -targetdevice <Device>
(without having to specify the "Object" parameters and where only the objects from the specified SessionID will be copied).

Current state

Release        Status
9.0            Closed-No Change
Future Release Investigation

Workaround

Using the format as specified the documentation:

omniobjcopy [GeneralOptions] Device ... Object [Object]...

Will this be implemented in future versions of the DP?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @ravil_,

Thanks for bringing up the idea in Idea Exchange. I've added the existing Enhancement Request to the discussion and voted for it. I hope this gets implemented in the future.

Thanks,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.