Highlighted
s. vater Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

upgrade and/or migrate 2008->2016 / 10.04->10.40

Jump to solution

Hi,

i've to upgrade the server from win 2008r2 to win2016 (or move to Linux CM)

I also want to update DP from 10.04 to 10.40.

What would be the best option? (i want to keep IP-Address & servername)

• New Server with 2016, then install 10.04 and restore DP, afterwards upgrade to 10.40
  • Inplace upgrade of win server, then upgrade DP
  • Upgrade DP on win2008, then migrate to new Server
  • Can i restore 10.04 Cellserver backup into 10.40 ?
  • Is it smart to move from win cell manager to linux cell manager?

So many possibilities. I hope you can help me 🙂

Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor.. Brendan_Reilly Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Re: upgrade and/or migrate 2008->2016 / 10.04->10.40

Jump to solution

Here is a basic rundown of what we did when we went from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2, adapted for your scenario.

1. Setup new server with temp name and IP

2. Old: Run writedb to dump database. Shutdown services (best to disable them). Rename and re-ip Server.

3. New: Rename using old name and IP. Rezone any storage devices.

4. New: Install DP 10.04, test basic functionality (loading, etc.). Shutdown services

5. New: Keep a copy of the fresh programdata and program file folders in case you need to roll back or need to import DB manually.

6. New: Copy programdata and programfiles folders from old server to new, same drive letters (D: on old should stay D on new).

7. New: start services and test functionality. You can also run omnidbutilcheck checks to ensure the DB is fine.

8. Let it run on 10.04 for a few days to ensure everything is stable, then upgrade to 10.40.

That procedure should work fine and if you have issues all you have to do to roll back is rename and reip servers and re-enable the old server.

I wouldn't recommend an in place upgrade or switching Linux, if you're comfortable with windows I'd stick with that. 

I'm sure others might have similar experiences.

Good luck, keep us updated on how it goes

2 Replies
Super Contributor.. Brendan_Reilly Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Here is a basic rundown of what we did when we went from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2, adapted for your scenario.

1. Setup new server with temp name and IP

2. Old: Run writedb to dump database. Shutdown services (best to disable them). Rename and re-ip Server.

3. New: Rename using old name and IP. Rezone any storage devices.

4. New: Install DP 10.04, test basic functionality (loading, etc.). Shutdown services

5. New: Keep a copy of the fresh programdata and program file folders in case you need to roll back or need to import DB manually.

6. New: Copy programdata and programfiles folders from old server to new, same drive letters (D: on old should stay D on new).

7. New: start services and test functionality. You can also run omnidbutilcheck checks to ensure the DB is fine.

8. Let it run on 10.04 for a few days to ensure everything is stable, then upgrade to 10.40.

That procedure should work fine and if you have issues all you have to do to roll back is rename and reip servers and re-enable the old server.

I wouldn't recommend an in place upgrade or switching Linux, if you're comfortable with windows I'd stick with that. 

I'm sure others might have similar experiences.

Good luck, keep us updated on how it goes

s. vater Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution
Sounds like a plan.
Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.