Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Respected Contributor.. T. Cooper Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

vmware, 3PAR, and DP on Store Once

I have a vSphere 6 three host environment with a may to one vmdks to SAN volume. For example, there may be multiple VMs running in the same SAN volumes, but the data volumes are typicaly 1 to 1.

vSphere 6 supports vvols, as does the 3PAR (needs to be enabled and such), how does DP work? The sales guy talked up backing up over the SAN, but now the integrator or installer (whatever they are called), is saying to just back everything over the wire (network). Of course, I rather backup over the SAN Fabric, its simply faster (I dont have a 10gb core yet, and wont until 2017 most likely).

So, whats the skinny. Does DP support VVOL and use the vmware native volume management (I forget the name as I am writing this)?

Thank you

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
ranjithpk Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: vmware, 3PAR, and DP on Store Once

DP904 onwards supports VVOLs

Regards,
Ranjith
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. T. Cooper Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: vmware, 3PAR, and DP on Store Once

If I import vCenter into HP data protector and backup from vCenter, what network does it use to backup on? We are getting HP data protector and it was sold as being fully integrated with vmWare (6), but now HP is taking about installing agents inside the VM, which seems dated and backwards.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.