New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Errors when customizing sandobx location for OpenOffice

Hello,

We're in the process of building OpenOffice 3.2 on ZAV 8.0.
We're trying to customize the sandbox location in the Process Configuration tab on the Settings panel.
In a working config the path in the Application sandbox location looks like this:
\\Mfp21\vol1\users\%USERNAME%\Novell\Sandbox\@TITLE@\@VERSION@
The actual path after deployment looks like this:
\\Mfp21\vol1\users\mario\Novell\Sandbox\1.0.0.0

With such a patch we cannot see which sandbox belongs to which application.

Option 1:
We tried to change the @TITLE@ parameter by customizing the Properties tab on the Settings panel. We disabled 'Inherit properties' and filled in the following values:
Producti title: OpenOffice
Version: 3<tab>2<tab>0<tab>9854
(see attachment)

Result:
Two separate folders are created under Novell/Sandbox:
- OpenOffice
openoffice.exe won't start, error is shown on desktop (sorry, cannot attach another screenshot)

Option 2:
We tried to customize the path to:
\\Mfp21\vol1\users\%USERNAME%\Novell\Sandbox\OpenOffice\@TITLE@\@VERSION@
(sorry, cannot attach another screenshot)

Result:
The following path is created:
\\Mfp21\vol1\users\mario\Novell\Sandbox\OpenOffice\1.0.0.0
openoffice.exe won't start, same error is shown on desktop

Our question:
How can we customize the sandox location and make sure the application is able to run??

Regards,
Mario van Rijt
systems administrator
Muziekcentrum Eindhoven
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What is the error message you get when the application fails?

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jjader;1992654 wrote:
What is the error message you get when the application fails?

See the attached openoffice.exe error.jpg
Part of it is in ducht, but most in english.
This is what we get when we run openoffice.exe.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does OpenOffice work correctly on build PC? The reason I ask is that I saw this post when doing a search on Google for that error message:
Difficult install and crashing OpenOffice.org 3.2 (View topic) • OpenOffice.org Community Forum

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also, you might want to change the Isolation mode on those folder that it has issues with. I have seen applications that will crash if you have the wrong isolation.

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jjader;1993198 wrote:
Does OpenOffice work correctly on build PC? The reason I ask is that I saw this post when doing a search on Google for that error message:
Difficult install and crashing OpenOffice.org 3.2 (View topic) • OpenOffice.org Community Forum

No, it doesn't.
The only thing we want to do is change the location of the sandbox to \\Mfp21\vol1\users\<username>\Novell\Sandbox\OpenOffice\.
Last friday we tried by starting over and filling in 'OpenOffice' in the Version field on the Properties tab in the Settings pane.
Now the sandbox is created in the desired location, however, we can't see a version and build number.

When I deployed the app to my own pc and clicked the OpenOffice desktop icon I got an error message twice. See attachment.
Don't get the message when starting writer, calc or other apps using the program icons and also not when quickstarter is auto started.

Reason I want the sandbox in the user home dir instead off the local profile is the availability off settings to the user. The profile is roaming of course, however, the local settins folder is excluded.

Regards,
Mario van Rijt
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I just finished virtualizing OO 3.2 (Go-oo project version) and it works just fine. I set our sandbox location to an environment variable so I can modify it when needed through the login script to the server. My virtualized app sandbox path is "%SANDBOX%\@TITLE@\@VERSION@". Right now we do a "set sandbox=c:\novell\sandbox" and this is the path my version of OO is getting.

C:\novell\sandbox\OpenOffice.org 3.0\3.0.0.9358
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dholmesscsd;1997708 wrote:
I just finished virtualizing OO 3.2 (Go-oo project version) and it works just fine. I set our sandbox location to an environment variable so I can modify it when needed through the login script to the server. My virtualized app sandbox path is "%SANDBOX%\@TITLE@\@VERSION@". Right now we do a "set sandbox=c:\novell\sandbox" and this is the path my version of OO is getting.

C:\novell\sandbox\OpenOffice.org 3.0\3.0.0.9358

This is not the Novell version, right?
What environment did you create the build on? VM or physical?
I can see you tried a location on the local c: drive. This works for us too. The problem is a location on a network share.
C: drive is nice, however, when users are roaming they don't get their settings when logging into other workstations.
In my last post I mentioned the error messages when starting the OO desktop shortcut. However, looking further into OO, it didn't work at all.

The environment we worked in to build the app is a VMware WKS 6.0.5 VM with Vmware tools installed and no network connection.

Today we tried building it using a physical desktop with XP SP3 and the novell client installed.
The version with the sandbox located on the c: drive works fine.
The version with the sandbox on the network share still doesn't work.

Right now I'm downloading the Novell OOorg3.1 version (the 3.2 is an eval version) to see if this makes any difference.

We talked to Novell engineers and they created a build using the 3.1 version and sandbox located on a network share, and it worked. There has to be a difference somewhere why it doesn't work on our end.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually it's the open source variant of Novell's version.

I always build in a vm. Base Windows XP SP3 with no updates. I include the Novell client but that's shouldn't be strictly necessary.

Just tried pointing ours at a network share (Novell server and version of OO) and it worked fine. I wonder if maybe you've got AV software running on the server that's preventing it from running.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dholmesscsd;1997981 wrote:
Actually it's the open source variant of Novell's version.

I always build in a vm. Base Windows XP SP3 with no updates. I include the Novell client but that's shouldn't be strictly necessary.

Just tried pointing ours at a network share (Novell server and version of OO) and it worked fine. I wonder if maybe you've got AV software running on the server that's preventing it from running.

No AV software present on the Novell OES server.
Our Novell server is running sles10sp3 64-bit with OES 2.0.2.

We tried building it on a physical wks, same problem.

Strange it's running at your end perfectly ...

Is there any way you could create a build with our settings and send it to me using eg. yousendit.com?
We could also create a build at our end with your settings and send it to you. I'm curious if you version would work here and vice versa.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.