UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

File Associations for Virtualised Apps

Hey Guys,

I'm starting to play around with ZAV and it looks really promising.

I just have a query on how are people handling file associations for virtualised applications on machines they are run on??

I know you can package up the virtualised app as an MSI and set certain file associations there (although it doesn't seem to automatically pick them up) or are people setting the appropriate registry entries via there desktop managment software?? It just seems like a pain for something like Office 2007 which might have 10+ file associations for the various apps inside it.

Cheers
0 Likes
11 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dc_sbrett;1653547 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I just have a query on how are people handling file associations for virtualised applications on machines they are run on??

I know you can package up the virtualised app as an MSI and set certain file associations there (although it doesn't seem to automatically pick them up) or are people setting the appropriate registry entries via there desktop managment software?? It just seems like a pain for something like Office 2007 which might have 10+ file associations for the various apps inside it.

Cheers

I've tried the MSI method with Office 2000 for a customer that is evaluating the product. It seems to work OK, but you do have to put in the work yourself of discovering and creating the associations. It would be nice if those could be interpreted from the snapshot - I do see that it is capturing changes to HKLM\Software\Classes inside the virtual app, but not attempting to copy that to the MSI associations.

I also found what appears to be a reproducible bug. You cannot apparently have more than one extension with the same mime type, even though this is entirely valid in the registry (one example: with MS Office installed, .doc and .dot both have Content Type = application/msword). The error box has title "Common", and text "The MSI could not be processed because: Unable to open the MSI query result set." We saw it first on Office, but I've been able to reproduce it on trivial apps as well.

Andy Deckowitz
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the response looks like I'll use the MSI method but maybe switch to setting them via a ZCM reg key if we run into the same bug you have. I might put in an enhancement request to see if the MSI output wizard is able to read the entries that were added to the HLKM\Software\Classes key. I can't see why it couldn't use those unless i'm missing something.

Cheers
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Anyone that knows if there will be a similar feature such as Thinreg.exe in VMWare Thinapp available for Novell ZAV also?

I know that you can also just add file type associations the normal way and just point to you virtualized .exe file. It seemed to work....

John Inge

dc_sbrett;1653547 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Cheers
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is what you can do using the MSI creation, that will create the file
associations etc.

Ron

"johninge" <johninge@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:johninge.3ha8o3@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Anyone that knows if there will be a similar feature such as Thinreg.exe
> in VMWare Thinapp available for Novell ZAV also?
>
> I know that you can also just add file type associations the normal way
> and just point to you virtualized .exe file. It seemed to work....
>
> John Inge
>
>
>
> dc_sbrett;1653547 Wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I'm starting to play around with ZAV and it looks really promising.
>>
>> I just have a query on how are people handling file associations for
>> virtualised applications on machines they are run on??
>>
>> I know you can package up the virtualised app as an MSI and set certain
>> file associations there (although it doesn't seem to automatically pick
>> them up) or are people setting the appropriate registry entries via
>> there desktop managment software?? It just seems like a pain for
>> something like Office 2007 which might have 10+ file associations for
>> the various apps inside it.
>>
>> Cheers

>
>
> --
> johninge
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> johninge's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34237
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=346264
>

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shane, your best bet is to stick with the MSI method. This has a lot
more benefits than just file associations.

Ron van Herk wrote:
> This is what you can do using the MSI creation, that will create the file
> associations etc.
>
> Ron
>
> "johninge" <johninge@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
> news:johninge.3ha8o3@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>> Anyone that knows if there will be a similar feature such as Thinreg.exe
>> in VMWare Thinapp available for Novell ZAV also?
>>
>> I know that you can also just add file type associations the normal way
>> and just point to you virtualized .exe file. It seemed to work....
>>
>> John Inge
>>
>>
>>
>> dc_sbrett;1653547 Wrote:
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> I'm starting to play around with ZAV and it looks really promising.
>>>
>>> I just have a query on how are people handling file associations for
>>> virtualised applications on machines they are run on??
>>>
>>> I know you can package up the virtualised app as an MSI and set certain
>>> file associations there (although it doesn't seem to automatically pick
>>> them up) or are people setting the appropriate registry entries via
>>> there desktop managment software?? It just seems like a pain for
>>> something like Office 2007 which might have 10+ file associations for
>>> the various apps inside it.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>
>> --
>> johninge
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> johninge's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34237
>> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=346264
>>

>
>

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thx for the replies 🙂

However unless I'm mistaken and I could well be (and i haven't had a chance to play with the new version yet) even when I use the MSI creation method I still have to MANUALLY tell it which file associations correspond to their relevant application?

Is this correct or is there a way to automate this particular part?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I asked the same question of a xenocode support guy last week, the answer (although I have not tested this yet) is to use the xreg utility from xenocode.

Download Virtual Desktop Client

dc_sbrett;1682501 wrote:
Thx for the replies 🙂

However unless I'm mistaken and I could well be (and i haven't had a chance to play with the new version yet) even when I use the MSI creation method I still have to MANUALLY tell it which file associations correspond to their relevant application?

Is this correct or is there a way to automate this particular part?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The problem exists with a virtualization of the complete office suite.
Although the HLKM\Software\Classes in the majority is merged into the hosts OS, due to the fact that triggers are used, M$ doesn't recognize the right application. (f.e. in this case ms word)

If you don't use the triggers, but make 4 different apps out of the office suite then you shouldn't have the problem. You only have 1 startup file in the virtualized app and m$ (finally) knows what to do.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are now experimenting with ZAV and have run into the same file association issues in this thread. Is there a definitive method for creating them for ZAV applications NOT using the MSI wrapper? We have experimented with manually creating associations during the ZAV snapshot process, and although it seemed successful, we were afraid that we were missing necessary components created during the actual application install. We have tried creating ZEN applications, gutting them of everything but the relevant registry changes to preserve the file associations, exporting the relevant hives and editing them with find and replace to reflect the location of the virtual application, and a combination of both. Unfortunately we haven't found one who's results we feel confident enough with to put into production. If we have to pursue the MSI route to ensure proper file associations we will but we would love to hear from someone who's managed to use just virtual applications and some method for preserving the proper files associations
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is going to be long so my apologies in advance. I usually build two virtualized apps, one standalone executable file and one msi file. If it's going to be a shotgunned app (i.e. Office) I only install with an msi file although I suppose you could still use the method I outline below. I'll use Audacity as my example.

I do all application capturing in VMWare workstation. To determine what filetypes and file associations have been created I do the following.

Before I install Audacity I open a cmd.exe prompt:

assoc >assoc1.txt
ftype >ftype1.txt

Install Audacity and then:

assoc >assoc2.txt
ftype >ftype2.txt

Then I use the fc command to do a diff of the two files to see what the installation program changed and redirect the output to another text file:

fc assoc1.txt assoc2.txt >assoc.txt
fc ftype1.txt ftype2.txt >ftype.txt

Go in with a text editor and check assoc.txt and ftype.txt to pull out what has actually changed and then add it to my install batch files. I'll give shortened (no comments) examples below. You'd have to run this with admin rights in order to do the file associations. Nircmd.exe is a free utility from nirsoft.net that allows me to create the shortcuts. So, for instance, an install of Audacity might look like this:

if not exist "C:\Program Files\Audacity" md "C:\Program Files\Audacity"
copy audacity.exe "C:\Program Files\Audacity"
assoc .aup=Audacity.Project
ftype Audacity.Project="C:\Program Files\Audacity\audacity.exe" "%1"
nircmd.exe shortcut "C:\Program Files\Audacity\audacity.exe" "%allusersprofile%\desktop" "Audacity"

A removal batch file is similar with the exception of the ftype command doesn't work as advertised (it will create the filetype but the delete command doesn't) so we have to use reg delete to remove the file type. Again must be run as an administrator to de-register filetypes and associations:

if exist "C:\Program Files\Audacity" rd /s /q "C:\Program Files\Audacity"
assoc .aup=
reg delete HKCR\Audacity.Project /f
del "%allusersprofile%\desktop\Audacity.lnk"

I'm sure I could probably streamline or even automate the creation of the batch files but I haven't had time to play around with/learn awk/sed/diff. Hope this helps somebody.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So why is this nog in ZAV already. Everyone wants to set the associations right to the virtualapp.exe.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.