Highlighted
muziekcentrum Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OpenOffice apps not available in Open With context menu

Hello,

We're using OpenOffice 3.2 (eval) as a ZAV app in a Windows XP SP3 environment.
When we try to open a document using the Open With context menu, we can't select an OpenOffice app.
We can select the openoffice.exe file (the one we builded using ZAV), however, this doesn't open the document. It just opens whatever option you selected for autostart in multiple.

We tried a ZAV template, but also no option in Open With context menu.

Is this possible using a ZAV app??

Regards,
Mario van Rijt
systems administrator
Muziekgebouw Eindhoven
0 Likes
9 Replies
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OpenOffice apps not available in Open With context menu

muziekcentrum;1986967 wrote:
Hello,

We're using OpenOffice 3.2 (eval) as a ZAV app in a Windows XP SP3 environment.
When we try to open a document using the Open With context menu, we can't select an OpenOffice app.
We can select the openoffice.exe file (the one we builded using ZAV), however, this doesn't open the document. It just opens whatever option you selected for autostart in multiple.

We tried a ZAV template, but also no option in Open With context menu.

Is this possible using a ZAV app??

Regards,
Mario van Rijt
systems administrator
Muziekgebouw Eindhoven

You need to do the MSI installation or use XReg to register the appliaction on the device. See section 7.1 in the ZAV documentation.

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
Absent Member.

jjader;1987075 wrote:
You need to do the MSI installation or use XReg to register the appliaction on the device. See section 7.1 in the ZAV documentation.

After we build the v app we made an msi for it. So far we know this process does the same thing as xreg.
We have shortcuts registered on the devices, but no shortcuts in the open with context menu.
0 Likes
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Oh, ok, I misunderstood your question. As far as I know, ZAV does not have the ability to add to the "Open with" context with out some sort of manual adding via the registry.

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
Absent Member.

jjader;1987292 wrote:
Oh, ok, I misunderstood your question. As far as I know, ZAV does not have the ability to add to the "Open with" context with out some sort of manual adding via the registry.

Would you by any chance happen to know which values to put in manually?
0 Likes
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

muziekcentrum;1987567 wrote:
Would you by any chance happen to know which values to put in manually?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\FileExts\.<YOURFILEEXTENTION>\OpenWithList

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wow, that got screwed up:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\FileExts\.<YOURFILEEXTENTION>\OpenWithList

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok, there's not suppose to be any spaces in that btw, the forums here seems to mess it up somehow.

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
Absent Member.

jjader;1987830 wrote:
Wow, that got screwed up:

We did another capture today for OpenOffice 3.2.0 (build 9483) using ZAV 8.0 using a clean VM (VMware Workstation) with only novell client.
We looked at the registry keys mentioned and couldn't find any of them.
So we started adding file extensions ourself and imported them in the ZAV registry.
Using the locally installed OpenOffice we could use the 'Open with' context menu.
Then, we build a new exe file, created an msi install package from within ZAV and deployed it.
The 'Open with' context menu still doens't work using the virtual app.

I looked at the registry keys and I'm wondering whether we need to import them into the virtual app or import them into the registry separate from the virtual app?

Regards,
Mario van Rijt
0 Likes
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What I meant was that you have to manually import the 'Open with' registry settings to the end user computers that will be running the application. This can easily be done with a Zen app.

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.