Highlighted
tidewins Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Virtualizing Outlook 2007

I am attempting to virtualize Outlook 2007 with ZAV 7.3 I use the Office 2007customization tool to set up my MSP and then use ZAV for the rest on a clean virtual PC. the virtual app works fine on clean PCs, but on PCs with Microsoft Office 2003 installed on them it doesn't. When launching the virtual app on these PCs, it keeps saying 'Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003' and then looks for the PRO11.MSI. After about htting cancel 3 to 4 times, it finally loads.

If the app is working withing a sandbox, why is it trying to configure Office 2003? In my Outlook MSP I disabled all of the shared tools and even set it to not uninstall previous versions of Office, but that hasn't helped.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
0 Likes
3 Replies
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Virtualizing Outlook 2007

We had the same problem when we first did Office 2007. If Office 2003 is installed and Advanced Text Services are turned on with Handwriting recognition, a Windows Installer window will pop up during the Office 2007 splash screen. You can either go in on the PC's and disable that or you can can add the following key to you ZAV app:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF]
"Disable Thread Input Manager"=dword:0000000

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
tidewins Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. I was able to get past the installation screens by changing all of the instances of 'Full' to 'Merge' in the .XAPPL file.

However, it seems that virtual Outlook 2007 does not play well with a local installation of Outlook 2003. There have been various issues. I thought a virtual app is not supposed to interact with the local PC?
0 Likes
jjader Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The issues you see _might_ be due to you changed everything to Merge mode.

If a folder is virtualized in Merge mode, files present in a virtual folder will be merged with files in the
corresponding directory on the host machine, if such a directory exists. Writes to host files are passed
through to the host device and writes to virtual files are redirected into the sandbox data area. Merge mode
is generally used when some level of interaction with the host device is desired. For example, Merge mode
might be used to allow the virtualized application to write to the host device's My Documents folder.

- Joakim Jader
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.