jschmidt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BoundsChecker -- BC final check finding nonexistant errors

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 02 February 2011]

Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought boundschecker and have 10.01 (I think).
I am using it with Visual Studio 2010, sp1 alpha (?).

I am gettng a number of messages like this:

Uninitialized Memory Read: Pointer 0x0629FB78 (4) refers to an uninitialized local variable buf 0x0629FA90 (256) in function GenericDvbtWatcher::run.

I know sometimes the fill byte (0xfb, oxfc, 0xfd or something) can be misrecognized as uninitialized, but that isn't it in this case.

The method has a "char buf[256]" automatic variable and it feels like BC doesn't know about it. The address it reports is somewhere in that buffer. I can't figure out from the disassembly exactly what BC is trying to do, but the error seems very wrong.

Is this a known problem?

Is there a workaround?

Will this be fixed soon, and can I get an update?

Is there a good place to file a bug report?

Unfortunately, it may be hard to pare down the problem to something I can easily give out so I hope you already know about the problem and have a fix :)).

Thanks,

Johannes.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Rick Papo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: BoundsChecker -- BC final check finding nonexistant errors

Actually, this looks a lot like some of the stuff we've been fixing these past few months in getting version 10.5 out the door. Just how big is your application? You'd be amazed at what customers have sent us in the past, and frankly, I collect oddball test cases to use in verifying that we haven't broken something.
0 Likes
jschmidt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I look forward to receiving 10.5. I would be happy to retest my application. If I still have the problems I'm having now, I will figure out what I can send you.

Please let me know when I can get 10.5. I need Boundschecker for Visual Studio 2010, Native C++ only.

Thanks!
0 Likes
mikek Absent Member.
Absent Member.

To obtain the latest DevPartner Software, login to Micro Focus Support Line, go to the Product Update section and click on ‘Request Latest Version’ at the top of page. This will activate our distribution process and a link to the latest software will be sent via email as well as your serial number being upgraded.

You can alternatively grab the 10.5 software install kit on the same Product Update page (listed above) under DevPartner 10.5. This will only provide you the software kit however, so please ensure you follow the first steps to ensure you receive an updated license file.

0 Likes
Rick Papo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jschmidt originally wrote:
I look forward to receiving 10.5. I would be happy to retest my application. If I still have the problems I'm having now, I will figure out what I can send you.

Please let me know when I can get 10.5. I need Boundschecker for Visual Studio 2010, Native C++ only.

As it happens, we went RTM yesterday. Good luck, and we will see what else may need doing once you've installed 10.5.

FWIW, we have not dropped support for VS 2005 and VS 2008. The product integrates with the Visual Studio IDE for Visual Studio 2005 and later. Visual Studio integration was dropped a few years ago for Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio 2003, and those versions are not officially supported, but for the time being the product continues to work with the compilers for those versions at the command line level.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.