Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
691 views

Empty Syslog Collector V2011 needed


Hello,

I need a basic syslog collector package to add some basic regex parsing.

I tried to modify some collector v2011.r from a Cisco collector but the
connetor does not start
I think this could be the correct error messge:
" Unable to find event source manager for connector null and event
source null. The timezone of the event id=null time=null may not be set
correctly."

So next try would be to modify a basic framework for parsing syslogs.
But where can I find this?

Torsten


--
tfechner
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tfechner's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=8929
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


tfechner;262271 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need a basic syslog collector package to add some basic regex parsing.
>
> I tried to modify some collector v2011.r from a Cisco collector but the
> connetor does not start
> I think this could be the correct error messge:
> " Unable to find event source manager for connector null and event
> source null. The timezone of the event id=null time=null may not be set
> correctly."
>
> So next try would be to modify a basic framework for parsing syslogs.
> But where can I find this?
>
> Torsten


Have you tried this as a fresh collector from the SDK? What you're
asking for is essentially what you get when you create a fresh
collector.


--
brandon.langley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandon.langley's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=350
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


at my installation the "right-click -> new collector" in eclipse does
not work, so I tried to modify some existing one.


--
tfechner
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tfechner's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=8929
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


tfechner;262871 Wrote:
> at my installation the "right-click -> new collector" in eclipse does
> not work, so I tried to modify some existing one.



What does it do when it doesn't work? Which version of the SDK, and how
have you deployed it? What OS?


--
brandon.langley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandon.langley's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=350
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


I use the SDk 2011.
downloaded it installed as in the to-do-list in the forum. richt click
on "Collectors" in Eclipse int the Sentinel-View... no new windows
opens..
OS:Win8.1, Java 1.8 (as a must-have as company security policy)


--
tfechner
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tfechner's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=8929
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


tfechner;262908 Wrote:
> I use the SDk 2011.
> downloaded it installed as in the to-do-list in the forum. richt click
> on "Collectors" in Eclipse int the Sentinel-View... no new windows
> opens..
> OS:Win8.1, Java 1.8 (as a must-have as company security policy)


So 1.8 is a non-starter with the SDK. I would also use the 2014
preview edition, as any collector build with 2011.1 will be missing
quite a few fixes and performance enhancements.

Here is how I keep my workstation secure but the SDK using a compatible
version of Java:

1) Download the latest Java 7 JDK.
2) Install the JDK, be careful to not select the public JRE option.
3) Copy the JDK folder to the root folder of eclipse - the root folder
is the folder that eclipse.exe is in.
4) Modify your eclipse.ini to add the following line/instruction:


Code:
--------------------

-vm
C:\Utils\eclipse-jee-luna-SR2-win32-x86_64\eclipse\jdk1.7.0_79\bin\javaw.exe

--------------------


5) Uninstall that JDK - It won't affect the version you copied, but it
will remove it from any system paths/etc that would impact your
machine's security when browsing the internet.

Hope this helps....FYI the preview release is here:
http://tinyurl.com/guvlkkr and the accompanying Eclipse plug-in is here:
http://tinyurl.com/pwavpy9


Thanks,
Brandon


--
brandon.langley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandon.langley's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=350
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


installed the 2014. creating a new collector now works.

but after compiling I get an error:


2015/12/11 09:36:14 | INFO | jvm 1 | There is no context
match the uuid: 231FF350-CBAD-1032-8B84-01AE1553C65A


--
tfechner
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tfechner's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=8929
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


solved..

seem to be a wrong syntax in the taxonomy.map file.. now debugging some
other strange behavior...


--
tfechner
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tfechner's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=8929
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Am 11.12.2015 um 09:44 schrieb tfechner:
>
> installed the 2014. creating a new collector now works.


Hope you don't mind when I jump in here, but how exactly did you do
that? I can't get it to work. I initially attempted to point eclipse at
the 1.7 jdk via eclipse.ini, but was completely unsuccesful doing so
even after beating up google for half a day, puttin the -vm statement in
every possible place of the file, putting the JDK in directories witout
spaces, but still eclipse would use the default 1.8 jvm.

I finally managed to make it use the 1.7 JDK by adding it to the
commandline of eclipse.exe, but still all I get when I create a new
collector is the oh so helpful java.lang.nullpointerexception without
any further help as to why.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


Massimo Rosen;263264 Wrote:
> Am 11.12.2015 um 09:44 schrieb tfechner:
> >
> > installed the 2014. creating a new collector now works.

>
> Hope you don't mind when I jump in here, but how exactly did you do
> that? I can't get it to work. I initially attempted to point eclipse at
> the 1.7 jdk via eclipse.ini, but was completely unsuccesful doing so
> even after beating up google for half a day, puttin the -vm statement
> in
> every possible place of the file, putting the JDK in directories witout
> spaces, but still eclipse would use the default 1.8 jvm.
>
> I finally managed to make it use the 1.7 JDK by adding it to the
> commandline of eclipse.exe, but still all I get when I create a new
> collector is the oh so helpful java.lang.nullpointerexception without
> any further help as to why.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Knowledge Partner
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de



What platform are you doing that on? That sounds a lot like my
experience the last time I tried to do this on a mac.


--
brandon.langley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandon.langley's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=350
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Brandon,

Am 14.12.2015 um 18:54 schrieb brandon.langley:

>
> What platform are you doing that on? That sounds a lot like my
> experience the last time I tried to do this on a mac.


Win7/64. There's a JRE 1.8.65 installed as default JRE on this machine,
and I have no control over it. I added a copy of JDK 1.7.80 and triedto
make eclipse to use that (and there are gazillions of frustraded people
out in the googles having the same problem as I, and I truly triedall
their tricks) unsuccesfully via eclipse.ini. According to taskmanager,
it does work to use the "proper" java when I use -vm as option on the
commandline, but that doesn't change a thing about the dreaded
nullpointerexception.

Did I mention that I hate java with a vengeance? 😉

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


Massimo Rosen;263355 Wrote:
> Brandon,
>
> Am 14.12.2015 um 18:54 schrieb brandon.langley:
>
> >
> > What platform are you doing that on? That sounds a lot like my
> > experience the last time I tried to do this on a mac.

>
> Win7/64. There's a JRE 1.8.65 installed as default JRE on this machine,
> and I have no control over it. I added a copy of JDK 1.7.80 and triedto
> make eclipse to use that (and there are gazillions of frustraded people
> out in the googles having the same problem as I, and I truly triedall
> their tricks) unsuccesfully via eclipse.ini. According to taskmanager,
> it does work to use the "proper" java when I use -vm as option on the
> commandline, but that doesn't change a thing about the dreaded
> nullpointerexception.
>
> Did I mention that I hate java with a vengeance? 😉
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Knowledge Partner
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de


I ran into this on one of my build machines and the 'easy' solution at
the time was just to to go a newer JDK. However in this case you're
_on_ the newer JDK so I'm not sure what to suggest there.

As far as the nullpointerexception, are you using the _exact_ same
version of the SDK as was published with Eclipse? Currently, if they
are not 100% in sync you will get issues like this.


--
brandon.langley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandon.langley's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=350
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=54621

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.