Dimensions CM Design Parts Are Your Friends
Design Parts are the logical breakdown of the Product. They allow you to break out a Product into its functional components. This breakdown is different than the physical directory structure of the Product. (Note that it’s not required to be different, but usually it is).
There are many benefits to using Design Parts.
- Provides the ability to control who has access to what. If you have a team that is responsible for the front end GUI, the company can grant access to the GUI code to that team thereby preventing unauthorized changes from outside of the team.
- Provides the ability to release and deploy functional components (i.e. a subset) verses the entire Product. If the company needs to deploy only the latest Reports to production and they are not ready to deploy everything they can do this with ease.
- Provides the ability to setup dependencies between components. If the company release a Service Patch to the Bonus component only AND there is a dependency on the Tax component, Dimensions will automatically include the Tax component.
- Provides a visual impact analysis. If a major change in the LIB product is purposed, could that affect other components in other Products?
- If using Requests, you can assign them to the appropriate team without having to know who is on that team.
These are just some of the benefits to utilizing Design Parts in your Dimensions CM system. Think of them as your friend not your foe.