Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
justin_p_coakle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to prevent multiple users from accidentally over writing revisons on a common file

Is there a way to accomplish the following for a file for a specific user:

1) Prevent user from checking out a file if it is checked out by another user

2) Ensure that when checking out a file they get the latest revision

The use case I am trying to PREVENT is as follows:

1) Many users need to access and modify a file

2) User1 goes to the directory containing the file and it is at Revision 121

3) User2 goes to the directory containing the file and it is at Revision 121

4) User1 checks out Revision 121 (destined to be Revsion 122)

5) User2 spends a few minutes on other tasks, but then comes back to Dimensions

6) User2 neglects to remember, "Oh yeah, I need to select View > Refresh > All Views"

7) User2 checks out the file, thus ALSO checking out 121

😎 Both users now have a checked out copy of the file (from the same version)

9) One of the users checks the file back in....

10) ....Only to be promptly over-written by his coworker

This file is an MS Word document or MS Excel file, so there will never be a "merge" like could occur in source code.

In other CM repositories, I am familiar with setting up appropriate rules in a User’s “Config Spec”.

i.e. “/main/LATEST”

How is best to handle this in Serena Dimensions?
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to prevent multiple users from accidentally over writing revisons on a common file

Hello,

There is Item Type (in Admin Console) preference "Allow parallel check out" which you can disable for such types those are hard to merge and should be exclusively locked when checking out (usually any files with binary content). So when users try to check out already checked out item - they will get the error:

Check Out Item - COR0009534E Error: A revision of Item QLARIUS:A59.A-EXE;-- is currently checked out. Multiple checkouts are not allowed for Item of type EXE

Revision X1 is currently checked out by DMSYS

Regards,

Alex
0 Likes
justin_p_coakle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to prevent multiple users from accidentally over writing revisons on a common file

Hi Alex,

I have a couple of follow up questions.

1) I am just a regular user. I am not sure that I have access to the Administration Console (?). Where is it? I haven't seen it?

2) Will the setting you describe prevent simultaneous checkouts of **different versions** of the same file. Example: the case where user1 tries to check out revision 11 while user2 has revison 13 checked out. (i.e. only a single checkout againt a specific item, regardless of the revision)

3) Is there a setting that will ensure user is checking out the **latest** revision of a given item.

4) Prefer that solution is at the user setting level. It would also be acceptable if (at user level) we could change attributes of individual documents. We want to implement solution within our department, without having to assess impacts accross entire company.

Thanks!

Justin
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

1) You need to check with your CM admin. Admin Console is a web application to configure Dimensions, it's usually accessible via URL like "hostname:8080/adminconsole" (8080 is just a default port, but may be configured to another).

2) Yes, regardless of the revision.

3) I do not think so. I would advise you trying Streams (instead of Projects). There is always work with the latest version (no conflicts in repository possible) and also ability to lock the whole item in a stream for exclusive work on it (when merging is not possible).

4) There should be similar preference in Admin console for Project Type. You should be able to adjust this setting for existing Projects using UWA command (/NOPARALLEL_EXTRACT qualifier).

Regards,

Alex
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.