ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

filename in editor

hi,

we're running serena dimensions 12.2.2.5 (windows + zOS) and the one thing that really bothers me, is the fact that every time i double-click on a sourcecode the editor that opens only gets&shows (in the title/tab) the temporary filename (e.g. "p28d45") that's created by dimensions.

i'v replaced dimensions' diff with kdiff3 by "intercepting" pvcsmerge and extracting the filenames, but as far as i've found, there's no such way for edit/view - or am i missing something?

is there any chance to resolve this situation?

br woecki
0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Johann

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, here. Do you want the filename of the item to appear in the editor title bar?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Paul,

Exactly. Instead of the temporary filename i want to have the real filename in the editor titlebar/tab.
Think of Ultraedit having opened several files, all tabs named "p28d45", "p28d46" and so on - pretty annoying. Having the tabs showing the real filenames would be very enjoyable :-).
Thanks for paying attention,

br Johann

ps: mentioning the kdiff3-thing was just to point out what i've already worked out and thought about - and that i'm willing to invest some work into solving my problem.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks Johann

It would be best if you raise this in the ideas section of Serena Central.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for suggestion, just created an "idea".

@all: If there are any ideas (even "creative" ones) how to workaround the issue let me know.
I even thought about implementing an editor.exe that takes the temporary file, tries to extract a filename from the content, copies the temporary file to the extracted filename and fires up the editor with the copied file.

br johann
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Johann

If you are using desktop client, then you might want to look at creating a toolbar button that fires off an application/batch script to

Fetch the selected item to a local area on disc (this will create the temporary file using the project filename) - using a dmcli FI command
Runs an editor against the fetched file

Should be quite straightforward, but may require you to use credential unless your local users do not mind having their password to CM being exposed in the script.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You might want to take a look at: http://knowledgebase.serena.com/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=S141050 for some more information on toolbar buttons.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@paul: many thanks for the great hints!

i recently found the time to play around and the result is a rough but working implementation, so i wanna share with you:

in dimensions i configured a "Tool"
Command: C:\foo\projects\cmedit\cmedit.cmd
Arguments: $[Specification] $[Filename] $[Revision] $(Product):$(Workset) $[type]
Start In: c:\foo
the following script sits in c:\foo\projects\cmedit\cmedit.cmd
echo off
set dimexe="c:\program files (x86)\serena\dimensions 12.2\cm\prog\dmcli"
set ueexe="c:\program files (x86)\ultraedit\uedit32"
set fi=%2
set fi=%fi:"=%
set ver=%3
set ver=%ver:"=%
set typ=%5
set typ=%typ:"=%
set tmpfile=C:\foo\tmp\%fi%.%ver%.%typ%

%dimexe% FI %1 /USER_FILENAME="%tmpfile%" /EXPAND /OVERWRITE
%ueexe% %tmpfile%

there is endless room for improvement, but i'm already pretty happy with what i achieved!

thanks again,
br johann
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Fantastic and great work!

This would be worth creating a blog for.

Would you like to try creating one?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
Done: http://woecki.blogspot.com/2015/11/serena-dimensions-open-files-with.html (most of my private blog is german, but some rare postings - mostly sw-dev/prof related - are english).
But i assume you meant posting to Serena Blog? What would be the procedure?

br Johann
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Johann

Das sieht doch gut aus!

I did mean a blog here on Central, have you tried creating a blog, as you should have permissions to do this already, if not then let me know and I can find out and get back to you.

Paul
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.