SimonMag Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IR6 Upgrade

I am looking to install the IR6 upgrade for Endpoint, I have noticed that you can't do a straight upgrade. You get the message that you need to uninstall and re-install.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Does it keep the policy settings? (Will I have to export the policies and then re-import them in the new install)

2) Client certificate? I have deployed the endpoint client to users now, can I use the certificate that was created by endpoint during the initial install, or will I have to install the newly created certificate to all the endpoint clients?

3) Databases? i have the databases on a seperate SQL server, I think I can leave these intact and point the new install at these databases?

I don't want to try the uninstall at the moment and be left with a non-working server that none of the clients can connect to.

Thanks.

Simon.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Not applicable

Re: IR6 Upgrade

Hi Simon,

For upgrading, the server components would need to be uninstalled via Add/Remove programs and the new version would need to be installed.

1) I think you'll have to export them (don't forget the SETUP.SEN for decrypting them on the new install) before uninstalling, and re-import them after installing. Besides upgrading, it is a good (and quick) recovery practice is to keep a exported backup of existing policies. I would also take note of which users/computers are assigned which policy, just in case you have to re-assign it manually.

2) When uninstalling the existing server, the client certificate is preserved so no changes are needed on the clients. When installing the new version, be sure to select "Use the existing certificate IIS is configured with" in order to use the existing one.

3) When uninstalling, you're given the option to leave DBs intact. My understanding is that when installing the new version, if you point the installer to the same SQL Server and database names, you are prompted if you want to use the existing DBs.

One last advice: don't do this directly in production. Test it in a lab/vm environment as many times as needed in order to ensure a smooth upgrade. It takes time, but lets you sleep at night.

Good luck with that.
Daniel

>>>

To:novell.support.zenworks.endpoint-security-management
Date: 4/7/2009 10:06 AM
Subject: IR6 Upgrade

I am looking to install the IR6 upgrade for Endpoint, I have noticed
that you can't do a straight upgrade. You get the message that you need
to uninstall and re-install.

1) Does it keep the policy settings? (Will I have to export the
policies and then re-import them in the new install)

2) Client certificate? I have deployed the endpoint client to users
now, can I use the certificate that was created by endpoint during the
initial install, or will I have to install the newly created certificate
to all the endpoint clients?

3) Databases? i have the databases on a seperate SQL server, I think I
can leave these intact and point the new install at these databases?

I don't want to try the uninstall at the moment and be left with a
non-working server that none of the clients can connect to.

Thanks.

Simon.

--
SimonMag
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SimonMag's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=27454
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=368578
0 Likes
Danny_TMF Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Why is this done like this ... issent it possible to create an update kit.
This way of upgrading your software is a bit outdated imo.

Is there any idea on creating these update packages in future releases?
0 Likes
dchiara Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Danny_TMF;1772221 wrote:
Why is this done like this ... issent it possible to create an update kit.
This way of upgrading your software is a bit outdated imo.

Is there any idea on creating these update packages in future releases?

If I can add one thing on going to the new version. I would recommend backing up your policies and encryption keys if you are using encryption and delete the databases at uninstall. The new install will not remove the certificate and you may run into future problems is you use the existing DBs with the new install as there has been schema changes done between IR5 and IR6.

An upgrade path will come when ZESM integrates with ZCM later this year.
0 Likes
jayotte Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dchiara;1773128 wrote:
If I can add one thing on going to the new version. I would recommend backing up your policies and encryption keys if you are using encryption and delete the databases at uninstall. The new install will not remove the certificate and you may run into future problems is you use the existing DBs with the new install as there has been schema changes done between IR5 and IR6.

An upgrade path will come when ZESM integrates with ZCM later this year.

Sorry, my other reply wasn't supposed to be to this post, where I wanted to ask whether...

certificates are kept between install and uninstall for unmanaged servers as well -- since we seem to be having a problem with ours.
0 Likes
jayotte Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is this true for a standalone server as well?

We have done the upgrade and reimported the policies into our server, but now any policies we export are not picked up by the clients.

We weren't asked about keeping the databases during our install, but I am wondering whether there is some sort of problem with the client matching up the policy.sen and the old setup.sen files?

Any thoughts?
Jason Ayotte
0 Likes
Not applicable

You mean Single Server, right? There's not such standalone server.

I think it is true in every scenario, and I've tried myself with a Single Server install.

To see if you have certificate issues, check to see if you have MSSOAP errors in the event viewer at the client computer where the ZSC is installed.

You are asked to keep DBs at uninstall time.

>>>

To:novell.support.zenworks.endpoint-security-management
Date: 4/9/2009 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: IR6 Upgrade

Is this true for a standalone server as well?

We have done the upgrade and reimported the policies into our server,
but now any policies we export are not picked up by the clients.

We weren't asked about keeping the databases during our install, but I
am wondering whether there is some sort of problem with the client
matching up the policy.sen and the old setup.sen files?

Any thoughts?
Jason Ayotte

--
jayotte
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jayotte's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=28370
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=368578
0 Likes
SimonMag Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have managed to upgrade my Endpoint server to IR6!! I have had no issues at all, I kept the certificate that was created during the setup so all my clients will still be able to communicate with the server. The errors I was seeing in the event viewer before have also gone.

I am going to have to wait for about 12 hours until the databases start to populate with data (I chose not to keep the original DB's as we were not currently enforcing anything so there was no need to keep the data that was there)

Here's what I did:

Exported the policy, made a backup of the certificates, un-installed the management console, un-installed the ESM Server - REBOOTED.

Installed ESM server, created databases, used existing certificate, re-created NDS sync, imported policy, published to users.

So far we have not had any calls from users that are unable to login - so far so good!

Simon.

SimonMag;1771611 wrote:
I am looking to install the IR6 upgrade for Endpoint, I have noticed that you can't do a straight upgrade. You get the message that you need to uninstall and re-install.

1) Does it keep the policy settings? (Will I have to export the policies and then re-import them in the new install)

2) Client certificate? I have deployed the endpoint client to users now, can I use the certificate that was created by endpoint during the initial install, or will I have to install the newly created certificate to all the endpoint clients?

3) Databases? i have the databases on a seperate SQL server, I think I can leave these intact and point the new install at these databases?

I don't want to try the uninstall at the moment and be left with a non-working server that none of the clients can connect to.

Thanks.

Simon.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.