Highlighted
noel2019 Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Unable to start Batch region in Micro focus enterprise server

Hi,

When i try to start the Batch region in Micro focus enterprise server web console unable to start. Was getting message "CASSl1001S Server Manager initilization failure".

What could be the reasons.

0 Likes
16 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Unable to start Batch region in Micro focus enterprise server

Perhaps you'd like to tell us the specific product, version, and platform you're running?
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Microfocus enterprise server : 4.0 patch update #7 running on windows 2016 server.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks. (By the way, it's "Micro Focus". Two words.)

The most common class of issues that cause this symptom ("Server Manager initialization failure") is probably permissions. On Windows that can include old processes from an earlier run that didn't shut down correctly, because Windows is finicky about releasing and reallocating named resources like files and IPC objects.

So here are some things to check:

• Look at the process list using Task Manager or Process Explorer or a similar tool for processes with names starting with "cas". If you have other regions running it can be tricky to tell them apart; here something like Process Explorer which will let you view the command line is helpful. If you find any old processes for the region you're trying to start, kill them.
  • Look at the "System Directory" setting for the region in Enterprise Server Administration. Check to see:
    • Does that directory exist?
    • Do the permissions on it allow the user account you're trying to start ES with (see below) create files in it?
    • Are there files in it? If so, do they have permissions letting that account read, write, and delete them?
    • Is it on a network filesystem (e.g. on a mounted drive)? If so, there may be issues trying to start the region from Enterprise Server Administration, or from the command line if you don't have access to that filesystem.
    • If the directory exists, is there a console.log file there from your most recent failed attempt to start the region? If so, what messages are in it?
  • Have permissions for system objects such as shared memory regions changed recently, perhaps due to configuring a local security policy or receiving a domain group policy update? You may want to try starting the region again, then check the Windows Security and Application event logs using the Event Viewer to see if there are any messages since you initiated region startup.

I believe the CASSI1001 message is issued quite early during region startup (a quick look at the code suggests it's only emitted if one of a few initialization routines fail), which would eliminate a number of other possible failure sources.

Regarding "the user account you're trying to start ES with": On Windows, the user account that Enterprise Server regions will run under depends on how they're started.

• If you start an Enterprise Server region from the command line using the casstart utility, it runs under the same account as the casstart command. Usually that's the account of whoever is signed on to that Windows desktop, though you can use the runas command or similar to change that.
  • If you start a region from the Enterprise Server Administration web interface, it runs under the same account as the Micro Focus Directory Server service. By default, this is LOCAL_SYSTEM. I strongly discourage running regions as LOCAL_SYSTEM - that's a severe security hole - so if you prefer to start regions from the web interface I recommend configuring the Micro Focus Directory Server service to run under a different account without administrator privileges.

Let me know if any of that bears fruit. If not, we may have to do some more complex investigation.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Thank you so much for your analysis. Will get back to you incase of any queries.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Mike,

We are getting continuously getting error in console log "XA Resource Manager Initialization failure" & Resource DB2P open failed messages in our environment. DB is running in Amazon Cloud. As per DBA no abnormalities found in database end . 

Please advice.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I'm afraid the issue seems to be with your database client software (which is not a Micro Focus product), network, or configuration. You can try opening a support incident with your Micro Focus Customer Care representative, but this does not appear to be an Enterprise Server problem.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Mike,

Are you referring to ODBC as the database client software which we need to verify.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I don't know what client-side software your XA resource is using. Regardless of whether it's ODBC (and if so, what ODBC driver it's using), you should check its configuration and diagnostics. ES is telling you that your XA resource module is reporting that it can't connect to the database.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Mike,

Today we encountered issues in file allocation/deallocation continously. All the jobs were getting failed which didnt happen before. So as a workaround we were manually opening/closing files using casfile command. 

i am unable find any abnormal in the online region console logs. Issue didnt fix event after restarting the file share service. Need your guidance.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This isn't something I'd likely be able to diagnose in the forum. You really need to work with MF Customer Care on this. I could recommend some diagnostics and take a look at them, but in all likelihood we'd just be wasting time. Open a Support Incident *first*. A rep will help you get the necessary materials attached. Then, if you want, post the incident number here and I'll take a look - though probably someone on the JCL engine team will identify the issue before I can.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Mike,

No worries, there was one hung transaction running for long time , by termintating it the issue got resolved.

Thanks

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.