Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

8.1 runtime on Server 2008 R2 64bit 'side by side' error

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 May 2011]

So far, all of our customers running Server 2008 R2 64bit get the following error when we install the 8.1 runtime.
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see teh application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

This error does not occur on our in house 2008 Standard 64 bit server, XP, Vista and 7 clients both 32bit and 64bit. What are we missing?

EDIT* I just tried with the 9.0 runtime and I get the same error.

The event log records this for the 8.1 runtime. The vc80 folders are there.

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\HOTEL\bin81\wrun32.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\HOTEL\bin81\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.MANIFEST" on line 4. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",
version="8.0.50608.0". Definition is Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",
version="8.0.50727.4053". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: 8.1 runtime on Server 2008 R2 64bit 'side by side' error

I looked in the 9.0 folder and it does not have the C runtime folders. When we first tried the 8.1 runtime I remember that the C runtime folders had to be emailed to me. Any idea why they are missing from our deveoper kit and where to get the right files?

Also, if I modify the C manifest to reflect the referenced version it comes up. Where do I get the correct files?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: 8.1 runtime on Server 2008 R2 64bit 'side by side' error

Typically a side by side error is when you have set up the runtime on a mapped drive. The runtime needs the Microsoft redistributables installed in the runtime bin directory. With 9.0 there is a bin-redist directory on the Windows CD or zip file. This contains the Microsoft files needed for 9.0.0 or 9.0.1. If you need the redistributables for a previous version please contact Customer Care.

Steve
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.