Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
rdg050 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AcuEdit - Ace.

Any one here remember an editor written in COBOL called AcuEdit?  Looking for either a compiled version that will run with AcuCobol ver. 6.0 or the source code for it. 

We have the compiled version 1.0 which ran using a version 2.4.3 runtime but will not on a version 6.0 runtime and cannot figure out why it keeps throwing an error on startup.  The source code would be a great aid in diagnosing the problem.

0 Likes
12 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: AcuEdit - Ace.

Are you running the AcuEdit on Windows or somewhere else?

0 Likes
Chuck Edgin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Written in ACUCOBOL, as in there's an object file that gets successfully executed via the v2.4.3 wrun32.exe? I haven't heard of it but it'd be interesting to see. Have you tried querying the object using cblutil? Use the command:

cblutl32 -info <ObjFile>

That should tell you what version it was compiled with and whether it has debugging enabled.

0 Likes
cobol85 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi together, i have sourcecode original ...
and modified in a module ...
mail to me if you are interested ...

* $Id: edit.cbl,v 1.3 1996/02/14 18:23:08 gary Exp $
identification division.
program-id. edit is initial program.
* 'edit' *
* author ........ : Maurizio Girometti *
* date written .. : 19/06/92 *
* release ....... : 1.0.0 *
* DATA ULTIMO AGGIORNAMENTO .. : *
* compile with -Si dyn -Sx sta to use m$alloc *
RobertRedekop Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

1. What is the error message?
2. If it is using a dll, I remember the default changed for the DLL-CONVENTION variable's value.
0 Likes
mricky Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm interested to the cobol source my email address is mricky@tiscali.it
0 Likes
rdg050 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It was being used on SCO and LINUX
0 Likes
rdg050 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The error is a '35 - file not found' with no info as to what filename it is looking for.
I rather doubt that it is using any dll's as it was written back in the 80's or 90's.
0 Likes
RobertRedekop Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Ahh. So that's the cobol side of things, and the DLL-CONVENTION won't help and you are right, you need the source code. Of note, I found reference to AcuEdit in an old acucobol tip about W$KEYBUF, that is here on the website:
supportline.microfocus.com/.../tip15.asp
That quick aside says that yes, the whole editor is written acubcobol-85.

To get the filename, you could turn on "tf" and check your trace log.
0 Likes
rdg050 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Tried that, it comes up blank. From comparing a working trace on 2.3.4 and a non-working trace on 6.0.0 it appears it maybe when it is attempting to create a number of temp files in /tmp. But with no compiled in source it is hard to tell what is really going on.
0 Likes
dalekreitzer
Visitor.

without source, it's going to be difficult. Question: Are your running these on the same server, with same cblconfig file? It sounds like you might be missing an environment variable setting that defines the location (?) of the temporary files. Maybe!

Dale

0 Likes
dalekreitzer
Visitor.

try running with full debug listing (using runcbl -dlxe ErrorFile ProgramName) ... while you won't get the full debug listing, it should show you the entire environment that you could compare.

Dale

0 Likes
rdg050 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Running on same hardware only using a newer runtime, same cblconfig file. From trace output it appears program tries altering a number of parameters on startup. One of which is 'FILE_PREFIX' which it adds '.' (the local dir) to on old runtime and it sets to nothing or is failing on newer runtime as it is blank.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.