Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
lrtcoolman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AcuToWeb UNICODE support

Jump to solution

Good day,

I managed to launch my program in ACUTHIN and Chinese character can be enter and saved in database. But when I view it on AcuToWeb, it appears that it cannot recognize the Unicode characters. How to solve it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: AcuToWeb UNICODE support

Jump to solution

Can you post the settings you have in sys01.cfg .. these should be runtime variables, which are different from acurcl.cfg settings. Typically to use Chinese with the runtime or acuthin you would set CODE_SYSTEM BIG5 as typically the Asian characters are double byte. When you go to AcuToWeb, you should set COBOL_CHARACTER_SET, I would try COBOL_CHARACTER_SET 936 - as 936 is the Microsoft Code Page for Simplified Chinese or COBOL_CHARACTER_SET UTF-8 and then see how your data displays

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
In your runtime configuration file, what value do have for COBOL_CHARACTER_SET ?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Shejerpe, where's to browse the configuration file?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
To set up Acuthin, you made an alias, an alias consists of alias name (lrtcool), a working directory C:\lrtcoolman), and a command line, such as -c C:\lrtcoolman\myconfig my-best-application.acu .. the myconfig in C:\lrtcoolman\myconfig is the runtime configuration file. We work with some customers in Taiwan, they set COBOL_CHARACTER_SET 65001 in their runtime configuration file. The code Page 65001 is equivalent to UTF-8 - or Double byte characters. Which CODE Page did you use when you entered your Chinese character data into the database?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
oic.. I am running client - server architecture and host acuconnect, runtime is at server side.

Client side, via acuthin with argument <host> <port> <config file> <logging> <alias>
currently is
acuthin.exe 128.0.0.200:5050 -c /etc/sys01.cfg -le /r/sys01.log -d ALIAS

In the sys01.cfg is running default settings as acurcl.cfg ... doesn't have the variable COBOL_CHARACTER_SET ... and I manage to run my program correctly and able to save and display UNICODE (Chinese PRC).

But it cannot be proceed and identify the UNICODE when I run program via AcuToWeb using browser.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Can you post the settings you have in sys01.cfg .. these should be runtime variables, which are different from acurcl.cfg settings. Typically to use Chinese with the runtime or acuthin you would set CODE_SYSTEM BIG5 as typically the Asian characters are double byte. When you go to AcuToWeb, you should set COBOL_CHARACTER_SET, I would try COBOL_CHARACTER_SET 936 - as 936 is the Microsoft Code Page for Simplified Chinese or COBOL_CHARACTER_SET UTF-8 and then see how your data displays

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks Shjerpe .. It's working.
Correct, I couldn't run with COBOL_CHARACTER_SET 65001 or COBOL_CHARACTER_SET UTF-8.
Should be set to COBOL_CHARACTER_SET 936 ... and that's support Chinese Simplified PRC / GB2313.

So, the configuration file will append to the alias and for specific program.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
But Shjerpe .. one thing.
After I had set the variable to detect UNICODE, web application takes longer time to load and sometimes it doesn't load. If i revert back settings without declare the variable, the web application load simply fast.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The introduction of Unicode does make it where the runtime loads Unicode fonts. Since there are about 65000 of these it takes an app longer to initialize when using Unicode (this delay should not be prolonged - just a few seconds). If your application fails to load, or is taking a long time to load, please send that example to Customer Care so we can sort it out.

stevenlyn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Shejerpe, I having an issue to input Myanmar (Burmese) Character in COBOL ACUTHIN 10.1 Runtime.
Some character show space & some character can show but font size is very small.
I have tested COBOL_CHARACTER_SET UTF-8, 65001, UTF-16
Any idea?

Thanks
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Myanmar has a few different web articles (based on a Google search).http://www.myanmarbible.com/bible/unicode.html

There does not appear to be a specific code page for Myanmar or Burmese https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/LIBRARY/WINDOWS/DESKTOP/DD317756(V=VS.85).ASPX

So far, everything I've read points to code page 1252 which is the basic Latin characters.

0 Likes
stevenlyn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Shejerpe,

Thanks for Your reply
I have try to install Myanmar 3 font on Windows 10 PC & Set COBOL_CHARACTER_SET 1252 in Conf file.

I'm able to input Myanmar Character on MS Word but still no changes on Acucobol 10.1 runtime.
Some character show space & some character can show but font size is very small.
Any other idea?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
No, not that I know of. While you can download this font and have Windows use it, the COBOL_CHARACTER_SET needs to point to a codepage, and currently there is no codepage for Myanmar or Burmese.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.