Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Claire1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AcuToWeb and non-graphical .NET assembly

Jump to solution

I'm having trouble getting non-graphical .NET assemblies to work under AcuToWeb. CREATE statements that return a handle under normal circumstances return no handle under AcuToWeb. In fact, they seem to be ignored altogether, because changing the namespace to something non-existent, which would normally cause an error, has no effect.

The syntax I'm using to create the control is:

CREATE "@My.Assembly"
NAMESPACE IS "My.Test.Namespace"
CLASS-NAME IS "MyClass"
HANDLE IS MY-NONGUI-HANDLE.

I've also tried using the AcuToNet.dll interface, but got the CoCreate Instance Failed error.

As I understand it, instantiating non-graphical .NET assemblies with CREATE is supported, so is there something I need to do differently to get it to work under AcuToWeb?

Thanks.

Claire

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: AcuToWeb and non-graphical .NET assembly

Jump to solution
We have reproduced the issue where using a .Net assembly in a COBOL program which works when using Thin client, does not work when using AcuToWeb. We have sent this issue to Development to sort out. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Could the failure to return a handle to a COM object under AcuToWeb be related to the .NET issue? Possibly, the .Net issue seems to be centered around an internal opcode, we're still sorting that out. AcuToWeb (even with the Desktop) does not support ActiveX or .Net assemblies that contain a User Interrface. What you may need to do is use C$SYSTEM and call a client side bat or cmd command to launch Excel

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Are you running the AcuToWeb Desktop? The AcuToWeb Desktop is needed to support any @ syntax.
0 Likes
Claire1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Yes, I'm running AcuToWeb Desktop.

I managed to instantiate a COM object in AcuToWeb by adding SERVER-NAME to the CREATE statement, but I've had no luck with the .NET assembly. I tried adding FILE-PATH to the CREATE statement (though the DLL is in the same directory as the runtime anyway), but it didn't help.

About the COM object: Though I'm able to create an Excel application and generate a worksheet, trying to make the application visible doesn't seem to work. Is that a limitation of AcuToWeb?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
trying to make the application visible ... are you trying to make the worksheet visibile inside the browser? or just visible in some other means? or are you saying that the COBOL program is no longer visible? We're looking at reproducing the .Net assembly issue currently. There may be a bug, not sure yet. I'll let you know what we find.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
We have reproduced the issue where using a .Net assembly in a COBOL program which works when using Thin client, does not work when using AcuToWeb. We have sent this issue to Development to sort out. Thanks.

0 Likes
Claire1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
By making the application visible, I mean setting the visible property of the Excel application to true after the worksheet is generated so that the user can see it.

It occurs to me that using SERVER-NAME is probably not the way to go, because Excel needs to run on the client. I tried it because using 'SERVER-NAME is "Local:127.0.0.1"' was the only way I could get the CREATE statement to return a handle. I'm testing all this on one machine, so the distinction between what happens on the client and what happens on the server is sometimes lost on me.

I've tested this use of Excel under Thin Client (without the use of SERVER-NAME) and it works. Could the failure to return a handle to a COM object under AcuToWeb be related to the .NET issue?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Could the failure to return a handle to a COM object under AcuToWeb be related to the .NET issue? Possibly, the .Net issue seems to be centered around an internal opcode, we're still sorting that out. AcuToWeb (even with the Desktop) does not support ActiveX or .Net assemblies that contain a User Interrface. What you may need to do is use C$SYSTEM and call a client side bat or cmd command to launch Excel

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.