Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
durandle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AcuXDBC support for TOP and SKIP appears broken

Jump to solution

We are trying to implement a complex web application that has access to our legacy ISAM GEN.4 and 5 data files via AcuXDBC. One of the common uses of the app is searching and paging through results. We thought AcuXDBC would be perfect for this, however it seems that support for paging is somewhat broken.

There are two issues we have with this:

(1) SKIP and TOP are undocumented, yet exist and work.

(2) SKIP doesn't appear to be at all performant, appearing to internally do a full table scan and simply omit the skipped results.

Am I missing something here? Should this be working better, or is it undocumented because it doesn't work correctly?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: AcuXDBC support for TOP and SKIP appears broken

Jump to solution
Skip does not do any different optimization from non-skip. The statement "internally do a full table scan" is true. We must build the resultset and skip over the first 'n'; there is no way to shortcut that process. See pages 35-36 (ftp.trifox.com/.../genesis.pdf).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Skip does not do any different optimization from non-skip. The statement "internally do a full table scan" is true. We must build the resultset and skip over the first 'n'; there is no way to shortcut that process. See pages 35-36 (ftp.trifox.com/.../genesis.pdf).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
durandle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks, that documentation is more detailed than the AcuXDBC documentation. Good to know my suspicions are confirmed, even if it's less than ideal for our implementation.
0 Likes
juanjesusgare Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
sorry i can not get your link, can you send me to my email? juanjesusgare@gmail.com, thanks a lot
0 Likes
DougP Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Try this one:  ftp://ftp.trifox.com/pub/docs/genesis.pdf[View:ftp://ftp.trifox.com/pub/docs/genesis.pdf:0:0]

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.