Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
buggabill Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Adding to available intrinsic functions

Jump to solution

Is there a way to write custom intrinsic functions?  Currently, the list includes items like LENGTH, ABS, LOWER-CASE, UPPER-CASE, and so on.  Can I add additional ones to this list, or should I continue to use stuff like C$SYSTEM and pipe files?  Specifically, I would love to add some string searching and manipulation functions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Adding to available intrinsic functions

Jump to solution

If you wrote your functions in C and then made a dll or Unix shared library, then in COBOL you could call the dll and then call the functions. Also, have you seen our C$REGEXP library routine?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

If you wrote your functions in C and then made a dll or Unix shared library, then in COBOL you could call the dll and then call the functions. Also, have you seen our C$REGEXP library routine?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
buggabill Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

This really seems like the most palatable option after reading through the docs.   Thanks!

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Between the INSPECT, STRING, UNSTRING statements and the LIKE regular expression capability in an IF statement, I can only wonder what string searching and manipulation functions you want to create.  Are you willing to share?

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.