Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Anyone else using ACU Cobol with MS SQL

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 08 September 2011]

Just curious, is anyone else using Acu Cobol with MS Sql?

Thanks

Woody
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Anyone else using ACU Cobol with MS SQL

We are, but only in a couple of programs. We'd use it more, but it's limited by the problem that you can't re-use a cursor if you want to run a second query.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

im not using esql. i guess you could say dynamic sql. I build a valid sql query, prepare an object from the query text string and then declare a cursor based on the object that was generated from the query text.

the code works great but i have questions.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What questions do you have? My experience with it is kind of limited, but there might be someone else on the forum who knows the answers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Has anyone else experienced a slight delay when the program is issueing the call to sql? I can run the query from the sql query analyzer and it retrns fast, no delay but when run from acucobol there is a slight delay and then its going.. this happens with every time the program invokes sql.

other than that im pretty happy with how its working.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can't say that I've noticed any delay. We're just pleased with the speed at which we can get certain tasks done, compared to doing the same thing reading records from a vision file.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

lol yes. if the process can be designed to be handled at the server its quick!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

are you using embedded sql or dynamic sql?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We mostly use dynamic SQL, but I think we may do some static queries as well.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.