Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
JGramer Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Compiled screen description too large

Has anyone else run into the compiler error "Compiled screen description too large"?  Apparently this error means a screen description has exceeded 32k.  I added a new page with roughly 50 controls on it to a tab control and now the program gets this error when I attempt to compile it.

Is there anyway to get the 32k limit increased?

This is the second program we've had this happen to.  We had this problem about seven years ago with another program and had to rework which controls we were using on the screen to get around the problem.  Unfortunately, the way we handled the problem in that program isn't really an option this time around.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Likes
5 Replies
GeorgeK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Compiled screen description too large

I've encountered the issue just having too large an array in working storage. The solution for me was a temp file and using the occurs number of times as the PIC 9(6) primary key field. You may be able to do something similar with the screen section. I think it is more of a memory issue than anything else because I've used tab controls with over 100 fields on them.
0 Likes
GeorgeK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Essentially, you use disk space as extra memory like Microsoft does.
0 Likes
JGramer Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

The tab control on this particular screen probably has thousands of controls on it. The problem occurred when a new page with an additional 50 controls was added to it. Currently the only way I know of to get around the problem is to break the screen into multiple screens or try to limit the number of properties being assigned to controls on the screen to reduce the size of this particular screen. It would be nice if the 32k limit was increased.
0 Likes
DrakeCoker Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Fair request. I don't recall off-hand if the changing the limit is simply a matter of insuring proper sign extension of the 16-bit size fields or if the high-order bit has a special meaning (probably the later, unfortunately, as changing it would be more involved).
0 Likes
GeorgeK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'll have to look at one of my sample listings. I think there is another way around the problem. Let me look.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.