Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Concuming webservice that use SSL

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 April 2012]

Hi!

We are trying to consume a webservice that use SSL. We use RMnet for this, but we get "Unsupported protocol". Probably, the reason is that we does not provide the certificate, or we cannot set it off.

Somewhere, I found there should be a possibility to set the verification off. Using a function "NetSSLVerifyPeer". But there was no documentation of the use of the function, and I have not been able to find the documentation refered to. Can anyone give me a example of the use of this?

Generally speaking, can anyone give me a example/description of how to communicate wiht such webservices using RMnet?

Regards
Dagl
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Concuming webservice that use SSL

Here is rmnet.pdf that has the function you are looking for.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Thank you very much, that was the file I was looking for.

I have now tried to disable the SSL peer verification. But this as no effect for our problem, I am afraid. When calling the webservice method (the first one), I get a respons = 7, and using NetGetError, I get the error message "Unsupported protocol".

My theori was that this was due to the fact that the webservice is a secure web service, using SSL.
I have tried to connet to the webservice using C#, without any problems and without using any certificates. So I thought that C# might turned this off as default (a bit strange, i know...), and that RMnet turned it on as default. So disabling the verification would make us able to do the call.

But it turned out to be wrong.I still get the error.
Are there any other ideas of why I get "Unsupported protocoll" as a response to the call:

call "HttpPost" using Post-Address
Content-Type
request-payload
request-len
response-payload
response-len
Maventa-HelloWorld
giving response-status.

I would be gratful for tips

Regards Dagl
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, there appears to be a problem with the Windows version of RMNet for extend in regards to support for the HTTPS protocol. I have submitted a report to our defect database so that this issue can be addressed by Development.

In order to work around this issue, you could use a third-party SSL proxy server like stunnel. Using a third-party proxy server should allow you to remove the HTTPS requirement from the RMNet application.

Additionally, your web services provider might have a non-SSL "test" server that you might be able to access.

**Note: This issue only affects RMNet for extend on Windows and, thus, the HTTPS protocol is supported with RMNet on Unix platforms.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Thank you for your answer and for your confirmation of what we began to suspect.
I think we should wait until the problem in extend is fixed, and not use third-party solutions meanwhile. It provides us with a lot of administration to deploy such a solution to all our customers.

So we are very interested in when this can be fixed.
I would be grateful for a hint on when we can expect this.

Regards Dagl
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

We are in the process of fixing it. It should be ready within the next two weeks. Please contact Customer Care and have your name (company / account) linked to RPI 1083827 ... that way you will be notified when the fix is finished.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.